Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Headlights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Headlights stopped working

After I added an aftermarket foglight package to my 2006 F150, the headlights will not come on (it came w/o fog lights). I have instrument cluster lights, tail lights, amber front lights but no headlights when the switch is put on manual on. I have no lights except instrument cluster when set on "auto" and yes, I tried them in the dark. I did not tap into any wiring harness, I just added a control box on/off switch in cab, ran cables to battery, etc. Fog lights work.

Is the auto light sensor bad or when I hooked up the fog light cable, the did the unit lose power and needs to be reset. I followed reset instructions in owners manual, no go. I can't even flash the high beams toggling the lever. I checked all fuses I could find, high/;ow beams etc. Where is the light sensor located and why would this have happened adding the fog lights? It can't be related. Could unscrewing the positive cable to add the fog lights then reattaching caused some kind of surge that blew the sensor/headlight switch/or the halogen headlight bulbs? I've checked all connections I could find, getting pretty P.O.ed.

Any ideas and location of the auto sensor would be appreciated
Old 09-16-2007, 07:19 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

How did you wire up the relay for the fog lights? The light sensor is on the rear view mirror. That shouldn't keep them from working on manual though. Where did you mount the on off switch for the fog lights? Make sure none of the screws went into a wire or the headlight switch.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checked and rechecked

I mounted the switch on a metal bracket next to the diagnostic computer hookup jack on the right side drivers side (over where right leg fits in). I really did make sure no wires were in the way of the drill bit. Grounded the switch to a nearby screw already in place for holding on a different bracket.

I've checked fuses til I'm blue in the face, I believe the headlight switch has fried or there is another "fuse box" on the left fender that has a few doo-dads in it, but my owners manual doesn't give a lot of info about them. One looks like a typical mini fuse, but it has an odd insignia on it and is dark black. I cannot see a fuse wire in it and don't know what to replace it with anyway.

I can't help but think that something happened when I loosened the battery terminal bolt to attach the add on fog light power line, causing the "auto on headlight relay" to unset or fry, but I don't know how to reset it. Guess I'll call the dealer in the AM and have them see if the can figure out WWJD!!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try removing the fog light wires from the battery, and removing the relay.

if it does not work then, you know it is something besides the fog lights

Quick Reply: Headlights stopped working