Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

header clearance/leaking issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default header clearance/leaking issues

I put some Pacesetter headers on the truck a while ago and have been fighting the infamous exhaust leaks...

I was recently told that, Pacesetter headers are a bit wide on 04 5.4l especially n the passenger side. When you step on it the, the torque twists the block a little bit and the right side header has been hitting the frame rail, tweaking everything and causing the exhaust leaks and will continue to due so. The shop suggested different headers(gibson, JBA, Headman etc. anything but Pacesetter) or notching out the frame..hahahahaha CRAZY.
Anyone else have this problem with Pacesetter?? i would like to keep the pacesetter but might think about buying some Gibsons or JBA...anyone have these, thoughts??
Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how bad is it hitting? i had a similar issue with my mustang. the motor mounts wore down so the motor sat lower. i put headers on and one of the primaries hit. pulled the header out and hit it with a hammer a couple times making a very small flat spot. put the header back in and never had contact issues again.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notch the frame, you have got to be kidding.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Ian_T_S

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
how bad is it hitting? i had a similar issue with my mustang. the motor mounts wore down so the motor sat lower. i put headers on and one of the primaries hit. pulled the header out and hit it with a hammer a couple times making a very small flat spot. put the header back in and never had contact issues again.
Its not hitting anymore...I did some off roading and it was "bent" into place...there is about a 1/2" maybe 3/4" inch gap between the frame and the header. I dont think the engine moves THAT much. The motor mounts are good, had a friend stop on the brake and give it gas and it doesn't have a lot of movement.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Ian_T_S

Originally Posted by A3Middie
Notch the frame, you have got to be kidding.
Yeah, I laughed when he said that and got in the truck and went to another shop
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

before you install headers it a good idea to make sure the flange is flat or you will be fighting leaks i seen it happen on Horsepower TV on a mopar they had to take them off and check them then grind down the hi spots
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Ian_T_S

Yeah I had them both milled flat before I put them on.....and im still fighting the right side. The left side is solid and haven't had any problems

Quick Reply: header clearance/leaking issues