Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hail

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hail

Anybody else from the Cleveland area? Storms rolled through Friday night... dropped some good sized hail (slightly bigger than a quarter, but smaller than a golf ball). Wife's 6 and my truck got pummeled. It looks worse on her car because it is a darker color and you can see the roof.

I lost my driver's side mirror and the 3rd brake light. Roof and hood are dimpled pretty good. Also on the drivers side the black sections on the door in the middle (B pillar) are dimpled a little bit. Calling the insurance today to see what is what. I am honestly hoping they'll just cut me a check... I can find a hood for less than the OEM price... and I'd like to just put the tow mirrors on rather than replace the factory ones.

Her car is about the same. Hood, roof, trunk lid. Driver's side mirror... right rear quarter actually got a dimple or too... I am betting it did enough damage to her car to "total" it.

Anybody have experience with this? Any hood suggestions for me if I have the option to do it myself?

Will try to get pictures soon... they didn't show up really well on my Droid.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Most insurance companies want you to take it either to a authorized Ford repair center or one of their own repair centers. The only time I've ever been cut a check was when my son totaled his Ranger.

Good luck, and glad you were not hurt. Hail like that is serious weather!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 AM

Yeah, we heard it coming down and everybody (except me, have to scold the wife on this one!) ran and started looking out the windows. Took maybe 2 minutes to lose a window in the house and I decided I should let everybody know standing by the window wasn't the best idea.

I am thinking we'll get a check for her car since it is "totaled" but still drivable. At least her father seems to think that is the most likely outcome. I might be able to fix both vehicles myself with the money from her car though. So it won't be the end of the world for me, to be honest, if they are going to fix it 100% I will let them.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

When my son wrecked the Ranger, the insurance company informed us that if the repairs reach a cost of 75 to 80 percent of the vehicles worth, they "total" it and write you a check. When this happened to us, we were not able to buy back the car and fix it ourselves, but I have heard that others have been able to do this (buy back the vehicle after it's been totaled).
Let us know the outcome.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I didn't witness the hail you speak of because I'm stuck in this toilet they call New York, but I gotta say, a buddy of mine (whose truck was dimpled all over by hail) called this guy that did this paintless dent repair, I guess like the Dent Wizard, and with the exception of one dent on a body crease, he got them all out, it looked awesome, and he retained his factory paint job.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Doggin' it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paintless dent repair seems to be the way most insurance companies are going these days. Keeps from having to total the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Would be nice... Wife will be happy to hear that. They don't seem to be all that bad... but I don't really know anything.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
SteelDragon12988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear bout the hail. im from massillon and friday we had a bunch of wanrnings and everything.....I'd say we had a steady rain for a couple hours and thats about it. heard it was bad by bowling green too.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM

I actually live out by BG, and from what I hear it was pretty nasty this way, no hail though. >_<
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

They are going to try to cut off your cab to fix the roof. It is made out of different steel than the sides and hood of the truck. The dent repair guy will be able to get most of them out but so will the summer and winter over time. Except for the roof. Those are going to get less noticeable but never go away fully. If they cut you a check for the repairs, I would definitely hire the paintless dent repair guy for a day or so and see what he can do and what you can live with. If he spent a couple days total on both vehicles, I don't know how much less it would be than to just go fix it. You might want to give it a month or so and see what works itself out and then call the paintless dent repair guy. Some of the small stuff should go a way just from the heat of the day and the cool nights. It will take a while though.

I bought a 02 FX4 brand new and received 2500.00 dollars in hail dmg before I even got the permanent plates on the thing. I was very upset to say the least. State Farm cut me a check for the dmgs and told me to find a body shop that would fix it for that amount. I deposited the check and 2yrs later when I bought my current FX4, the only noticeable dmg was the roof. The hail was golf ball size and the truck looked like crap. There was busted glass all over the parking lot. The hail came down for so long that it was stacked up 6 in. all over everything. Couldn't see any grass anywhere. Just to give you an idea about the dmg so you could compare it to what you received to your vehicles and maybe some idea about what will work itself out and what dmgs won't.

GL

Quick Reply: Hail