Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

funky 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funky 8.8

First post for me, long time reader first real question.

I had to put an outer axle seal in my 05' last weekend so I figured while I had it torn apart I would put new outer bearings in also. I got my parts according to the axle tag but when I went to install the bearing it didn't look right. I have a 8.8 with 3.55 non-limited but I had to get 9.75 outer wheel bearings. I have read in several other posts that people with 9.75 had to put in 8.8 bearings in. Any thoughts? in addition to the bearing issue I found out my spider gears were shot. I figured no problem I have a extra axle out back with a bent tube but good guts, I will just pull out what I need. my spare was a 9.75 but I figured the spiders would be the same, no such luck. I was lucky enough to find a set of OEM spiders but when I went to put them in the carrier was to small. I was able to use the top and bottom gears but not the sides. the guy that was giving me a hand thought the carrier might have been out of an explorer. I bought the truck used 2 years old with 12,000 on it, I don't think they rebuilt the rear end and all I had done to it is replace the oil a few times. You guys think ford would have miss-matched that many parts??

Quick Reply: funky 8.8