Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Previous Owner was a Smoker

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Previous Owner was a Smoker

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here, but I'm hoping I could get some tips on this. I have a 2004 Lariat w/Leather seats, I've owned her for about 2 years now and I still love the truck to death. I've detailed the interior a number of times since I got it, including cleaning the carpets with Tuff Stuff and keeping the seats cleaned and conditioned. The smell usually isn't very noticeable UNTIL I turn the HVAC on, mostly the window defroster/defogger. What do you guys think is the best way to clean the Texas dust out of them and get rid of the cigarette smell?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:29 PM
F150 Life

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've never owned an f150 with the leather, however my first pickup was cloth and the previous owner had smoked.. all I did was go to autozone and bought a 3 pack of air fresheners, and placed 2 in the front (driver and passenger side) and one in the back. I too got the similar smell whenever I turned the HVAC on. I just plasted it with the at home airfresh spray and it went away over a few months. This was just me, don't think I damaged anything by spraying, but it worked somewhat. I think you'll always have that hint of smoke though :/
The following users liked this post:
acdiecast (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

odorx last resort sprayed into the vents will remove the smoke smell. depending on how bad it is you might want to clean the blower cage and anywhere else you can get to with it.
acdiecast (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I've been attacking the smoke smell in mine too. I found that the ashes collect in almost any nook and crevice. I've shampooed behind the back seat (it was nasty back there). I've found ashes in the door panels and under the center console. I didn't even notice the smell until a few days after I bought it. What I've found to work decently is Ozium. About once a month I'd turn the vents to recirculate and fan on high, drop the glove box, spray the Ozium directly into the air intake for about 5 seconds, close the doors and let it circulate for about 10 minutes. Afterwards I'd open all windows and let it air out for a while until the Ozium smell isn't as noticeable. I also leave the fan on low even when the windows and sunroof are open and rarely use the recirculate function to keep fresh air coming in.
It's a major pain in the ****, but it is getting better. After doing that for a few months, I only have to do it every once in a while now, and the smell isn't nearly as bad.
The funny thing is that my wife says she never notices the smell and that I'm being ****.
acdiecast (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Haha, I know what you mean, my buddies all think I'm crazy trying to get rid of a smell that isn't that noticeable. The way I see it though, being **** about such things is the difference between a truck that is decent and a truck that is fit for a Ford dealership showroom, but that's neither here nor there. Thanks for all the tips, my thoughts were to put a desiccant bag somewhere in the vents, but that would probably only pull moisture out.

By the way, how did you shampoo behind the back seat? Do you have a Scab or a Screw?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I have an Scab. I took the backrest out and used a carpet shampoo machine with a hose attachment. There is a carpeted cover on the back wall. The truck was finely detailed before I bought it, so I didn't need to need to do all of the carpet, just the hidden spots.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Change the cab air filter???
Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 AM
On down the highway

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Start smoking
kobayashi maru (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 02:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roll down the windows, turn the ac on high(do not cycle cabin air), get a can of lysol and spray the entire thing into the a/c air intake... make sure to cycle the a/c immediately after spraying I.e. floor, vents, defrost..... Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I employed Dethurm's tactic in a Mustang I once owned, but alternated between shots of Ozium and Motorcraft a/c System Disodorizer. Worked great. I also keep a baking soda fridge box under each front seat.

Quick Reply: Previous Owner was a Smoker