Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

First time truck owner - please be gentle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time truck owner - please be gentle!

OK, I'm probably very different than most of you on this forum, but I'd appreciate any advice. My father-in-law passed away last month, and I have inherited his 2007 F-150. This is the first truck I've owned. I'm not mechanically gifted, so I won't be working on it myself, but I do want to be knowledgeable so I know what to look for.

My father-in-law was a "no frill" kind of guy, so the truck is about as basic as it gets. No electric windows, no CD player. There are 123,000 miles on the clock. The truck looks good - the only major cosmetic issue is that there is a lot of rust on the rear bumper.

Looking at the original paperwork, here are the specs:
  • 2007 F-150 4X4 Regular Cab
  • XL 145" Wheelbase Styleside
  • 4.6L EFI V8 Engine
  • Electronic 4-spd Auto O/D

The optional equipment comprises:
  • 3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle
  • Trailer Tow Package
  • Air Conditioning
He kept a good service history. Regular old/filter changes every 5,000 miles. I just had the PA state inspection, and it needed new rear breaks but otherwise the shop said everything else looked good.

Here are the main items from the service history:
  • 45,000 Trans service
  • 58,000 New tires
  • 60,000 Alternator
  • 82,000 Major tune up (replace spark plugs spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor)
  • 83,000 Alternator
  • 87,000 New front strut
  • 103,000 Lower ball joint and right upper ball joint, wheel alignment
  • 107,000 Pressure line
  • 110,000 EGR valve
  • 111,000 Front brakes
  • 123,000 Rear brakes
I'm not planning on putting any significant money into improvements. I'll just keep it well maintained and hopefully run it for many more years as my third vehicle. It will be especially useful in winters with the 4WD.

So here are some specific questions:
  1. Does this service history look about right, or are there any alarm bells?
  2. Is there anything missing from the service history that you would have expected to see?
  3. Now that I am at 123,000 miles, what should I be looking for in my next service? Should I plan on another trans service since the last one was at 45,000 miles?
  4. Is there any way to address the rust on the rear bumper without spending a lot of money?
  5. Are there any other low-cost improvements I should consider?
  6. Sometimes the steering feels very stiff, almost to the point that it takes two hands to turn. Anything I should be looking for here?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-31-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Radiator flush and clean

I would service trans.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rear differential fluid could probably stand to be changed, but if it's not giving you issues, I wouldn't obsess. EDIT: Yours is a 4x4, disregard this, I don't know enough about 4x4s to make this call.

The Spark Plugs almost having 50k miles on them, I would check your records and see if you can find out whether or not they did it 'correctly' by doing things like putting anti-seize on the grounding terminal. If not, I would go ahead and change them out before they sit too long and become welded. If there is one thing you educated yoruself on when it comes to an 07 F150, it's those spark plugs, they are NOTORIOUS.

Other than that, I'd also change the Fuel Fitler and give your MAF Sensor and Throttle Body a quick cleaning. Those three are super simple jobs.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Ford truck and Stihl saws

Default service

yeah I agree check the plugs and trans.
I notice you had suspension done but nothing about tie rods you may need those done in the near future if they weren't. Shocks and struts are probably done but it isn't that important.

check your surp belt and pulleys if the tensioner pulley hasn't been done. I do This because if it fails your stuck. check battery and tires of course. Before you mess with the belt check power steering fluid if it is full but still not working you can take a little fluid out and add pwr steering conditioner it removes build up from the pump. If that doesn't work change the pump when you do the belt and pulley. If you need one the best price when I did mine was Napa and had the warranty.

Sounds like it's an xlt so it has painted bumpers I take it. So if your talking bumper damage get a new one or have it pounded out and painted or if its on the backside you can but rust inhibitor paint tape it off and do that After that you can but a rattle can of undercoat at any big box hardware store. Really not an issue if it is only on the removable bumper and not on the truck body itself.

You can always check the manual in the truck or buy the Chilton manual from the parts store it tells you all about maintenance and even easy how to guide if you want to learn or know enough to scare a mechanic into giving you a reasonable price and not trying selling you crap you don't need.

sounds like it will be a good truck for you though and came from a good owner who took care of it.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Mark

Received 2,420 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by PoconoRob
OK, I'm probably very different than most of you on this forum, but I'd appreciate any advice. My father-in-law passed away last month, and I have inherited his 2007 F-150. This is the first truck I've owned. I'm not mechanically gifted, so I won't be working on it myself, but I do want to be knowledgeable so I know what to look for.

My father-in-law was a "no frill" kind of guy, so the truck is about as basic as it gets. No electric windows, no CD player. There are 123,000 miles on the clock. The truck looks good - the only major cosmetic issue is that there is a lot of rust on the rear bumper.

Looking at the original paperwork, here are the specs:
  • 2007 F-15 4X4 Regular Cab
  • XL 145" Wheelbase Styleside
  • 4.6L EFI V8 Engine
  • Electronic 4-spd Auto O/D

The optional equipment comprises:
  • 3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle
  • Trailer Tow Package
  • Air Conditioning
He kept a good service history. Regular old/filter changes every 5,000 miles. I just had the PA state inspection, and it needed new rear breaks but otherwise the shop said everything else looked good.

Here are the main items from the service history:
  • 45,000 Trans service
  • 58,000 New tires
  • 60,000 Alternator
  • 82,000 Major tune up (replace spark plugs spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor)
  • 83,000 Alternator
  • 87,000 New front strut
  • 103,000 Lower ball joint and right upper ball joint, wheel alignment
  • 107,000 Pressure line
  • 110,000 EGR valve
  • 111,000 Front breaks
  • 123,000 Rear breaks
I'm not planning on putting any significant money into improvements. I'll just keep it well maintained and hopefully run it for many more years as my third vehicle. It will be especially useful in winters with the 4WD.

So here are some specific questions:
  1. Does this service history look about right, or are there any alarm bells?
  2. Is there anything missing from the service history that you would have expected to see?
  3. Now that I am at 123,000 miles, what should I be looking for in my next service? Should I plan on another trans service since the last one was at 45,000 miles?
  4. Is there any way to address the rust on the rear bumper without spending a lot of money?
  5. Are there any other low-cost improvements I should consider?
  6. Sometimes the steering feels very stiff, almost to the point that it takes two hands to turn. Anything I should be looking for here?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
This stands out to me.....82,000 Major tune up (replace spark plugs spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor...
Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Fuel filter if that's never been changed. I liked my 4.6... Turned the key and drove it for 7 years with nothing more than regular oil changes and an air filter once a year.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
This stands out to me.....82,000 Major tune up (replace spark plugs spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor...
If they successfully installed a new cap and rotor, I'd say that's major.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,420 Likes on 2,119 Posts

and plug wires
Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Some guy

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
If they successfully installed a new cap and rotor, I'd say that's major.
Bet he disassembled and cleaned the carb out too
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback.

Quick Reply: First time truck owner - please be gentle!