Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

F150 Sub boxes

 
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
  #1  
2015 Lariat
Thread Starter
 
Fuugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,580
Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts
Default F150 Sub boxes

For those members who have subs, where do you guys put your boxes with the limited space you have? I'm looking to put mine out of the way instead of just having it sit on my seat!
Fuugz is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
  #2  
Auburn Grad 07'
 
fowlelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

JL Audio StealthBox

Pros: Cosmetically it looks great; out of the way; sounds great; plenty of power from the 10" driver.

Cons: Expensive; won't fit if you buy a newer/different vehicle; only one driver.

Bottom Line: I've got one and I love it.

I'm sure there'll be lots of opinions on this but for a fast, good-looking, quality install you can't beat the StealthBox.
fowlelb is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM
  #3  
"Lifted"
iTrader: (2)
 
KingRanch4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,341
Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts
Default

Fox acoustic.... Fits under the seat and houses two full sized 10's.... Works in favor for those of us that hate shallow subs..
KingRanch4Life is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
  #4  
2015 Lariat
Thread Starter
 
Fuugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,580
Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fowlelb View Post
JL Audio StealthBox

Pros: Cosmetically it looks great; out of the way; sounds great; plenty of power from the 10" driver.

Cons: Expensive; won't fit if you buy a newer/different vehicle; only one driver.

Bottom Line: I've got one and I love it.

I'm sure there'll be lots of opinions on this but for a fast, good-looking, quality install you can't beat the StealthBox.
Downside for me. I have a 12" Alpine Type R. They are deep as hell =/ hence why I have it sitting on top of my back seat.
Fuugz is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Luigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cherry Valley, IL
Posts: 88
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

im struggling with this now myself. JL does make the best stealth box, and if you are willing to sacrifice the storage under your rear seat then its def the best option.

Unfortunately I am in the process of making a steel lock box under the rear seats of my SCrew, so I dont wanna give that up for a sub. I was planning on doing a front bench center seat replacement stealth box, but they only make those for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. our half ton 150 's are out in the cold on that one.

Thats what I'm plannin on doin next, making somethin custom for it... Tryin to find one somebody makes so I dont have to do fiberglass, LOTSSSS of work! Essentially I am trying to make this but for an F150...
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...uperduty-98-08

here is the only options for JL stealth in our trucks (only Super Cab/Crew)...
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...upercrew-04-08

there are some cheaper competitor versions out there, but they dont sound anywhere near as good. I worked for a JL dealer for 3 years, cant tell you how many times people came in replacing their (knock off) brand stealth boxes with JL ones... they ALWAYS loved em! As far as the slim subs go, stay away from them. you will always be disappointed.

I would sell the alpine on Craigslist, get some bucks back outta it, and invest in the JL stuff. Quickest, easiest, and best quality you're going to get with minimal headache... IMHO

Last edited by Luigi; 07-03-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Luigi is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
  #6  
2015 Lariat
Thread Starter
 
Fuugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,580
Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
im struggling with this now myself. JL does make the best stealth box, and if you are willing to sacrifice the storage under your rear seat then its def the best option.

Unfortunately I am in the process of making a steel lock box under the rear seats of my SCrew, so I dont wanna give that up for a sub. I was planning on doing a front bench center seat replacement stealth box, but they only make those for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. our half ton 150 's are out in the cold on that one.

Thats what I'm plannin on doin next, making somethin custom for it... Tryin to find one somebody makes so I dont have to do fiberglass, LOTSSSS of work! Essentially I am trying to make this but for an F150...
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...uperduty-98-08

here is the only options for JL stealth in our trucks (only Super Cab/Crew)...
http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...upercrew-04-08

there are some cheaper competitor versions out there, but they dont sound anywhere near as good. I worked for a JL dealer for 3 years, cant tell you how many times people came in replacing their (knock off) brand stealth boxes with JL ones... they ALWAYS loved em! As far as the slim subs go, stay away from them. you will always be disappointed.

I would sell the alpine on Craigslist, get some bucks back outta it, and invest in the JL stuff. Quickest, easiest, and best quality you're going to get with minimal headache... IMHO
If I sold my Type R, I'd just get a better sub instead of getting a small 10". Not that I don't like 10s or JL. I just got the 12 from Alpine because I like the quality it has and the bang I get from it.
Fuugz is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Especial86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,282
Received 391 Likes on 332 Posts
Default

As noted above, stay away from slim shallow mount subs, they lack punch....
Look into fox acoustics, they have the finest box I've ever come across on the prefab market. Its the only box that will tuck a 6" deep sub without modification.
I got a 10" JL w3v3 4ohm sub in a fox acoustics 10" single down fire sealed box, and this thing hammers hard, and deep all day.... I have it in my 04 screw and it's more than enough bass to cover any listening style.... With this combo I can guarantee you will not be disappointed......
Attached Thumbnails F150 Sub boxes-image-555221601.jpg   F150 Sub boxes-image-2677277175.jpg   F150 Sub boxes-image-1669535318.jpg   F150 Sub boxes-image-2697457395.jpg   F150 Sub boxes-image-2549265243.jpg  

F150 Sub boxes-image-2009089242.jpg   F150 Sub boxes-image-2504354636.jpg   F150 Sub boxes-image-1071080294.jpg   F150 Sub boxes-image-2161380207.jpg  

Last edited by Especial86; 07-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Especial86 is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
  #8  
"Lifted"
iTrader: (2)
 
KingRanch4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 10,341
Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fuugz

If I sold my Type R, I'd just get a better sub instead of getting a small 10". Not that I don't like 10s or JL. I just got the 12 from Alpine because I like the quality it has and the bang I get from it.
12's are great subs I'll agree but 10's also have a great reputation.... Type R are pretty decent but a dc sound lab, sundown and RE Audio 10 trumps that.... Big money on subs doesn't necessarily mean big bang....
KingRanch4Life is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
  #9  
2015 Lariat
Thread Starter
 
Fuugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,580
Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life View Post
12's are great subs I'll agree but 10's also have a great reputation.... Type R are pretty decent but a dc sound lab, sundown and RE Audio 10 trumps that.... Big money on subs doesn't necessarily mean big bang....
Got my Type R for 120$ shipped. Granted I wouldn't mind a 10 because it would fit better, but I also would mind getting a custom box made

Last edited by Fuugz; 07-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Fuugz is offline  
Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Luigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cherry Valley, IL
Posts: 88
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

that fox box is nice because its shorter than the jl one, but man id really hate to give up my under seat storage.

I go hunting alot and i like being able to stash my rifles under the rear seat... not gunna happen with a sub back there. also its great being able to stash them under the seat while im at work so i can leave the office and go straight to my shooting spots and not have to worry about "prying eyes" seeing my guns... what to do what to do????

what we really need is a front center bench seat replacement for our trucks! i think im just gunna bite the bullet and do a custom fiberglass guy like for the super duties so i can retain my front center seat.

as far as the OP's wants... you might be able to fit clearance for your alpine 12 under the rear seat but the custom box will take up almost all of your under seat floor space to get the air volume required to make your sub work right and not sound like crap, just an fyi. a shop will proly charge ya a cool few hundred bucks to do it right too.
Luigi is offline  
The following users liked this post:
bluebullet10 (07-08-2012)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 Sub boxes


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: