Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

F150 Long Crank Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 Long Crank Time

Hey everyone, I am new to the forums but am hoping for some help! I have a 2006 F150 with the 5.4 3V
Since I bought the truck it has had a long cranking time that lasts about 10 seconds and then turns over. Over time it is getting worse and when it does start I get a quick "check gauges" message and a single beep and a cloud of white smoke comes from the exhaust and smells of gas. There is also a ticking sound coming from the passenger side somewhere but I haven't been able to find exactly where. The truck burns through oil really fast but isn't leaking. I had 5 misfires come up about a month ago and I put new spark plugs and coils in which fixed that but the starting issues are still present.

I have seen people saying the injectors stick open and drip down which is what I originally thought the issue would be. However, the check gauges message leads me to think it's an oil pressure issue.

Any help on this would be great! The truck has 165,000KM on it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 630 Likes on 567 Posts

Default Burning oil real quick is subjective

Is it a quart per 1000 mi or what . I use 1 quart per 2000 mi . fairly normal but no white smoke . So do you think its rings or a valve seal . Can you tell what cly by plugs or fouling . This is not normal for 102 k miles . Fouling could cause hard starting perhaps your pcv system is the cause . Bad rings can pressurize crank case forcing oil out . See if pressure thru oil cap when running . Time for compression check .
Has someone miss connected some vacuum lines . Oil burning hard on cats .

Quick Reply: F150 Long Crank Time