Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Door lock switch, window switches, etc don't work when door is open

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door lock switch, window switches, etc don't work when door is open

I recently bought a 2007 King Ranch. A minor issue is that the drivers side door has some electric issues when it is open. When I open the drivers side door beyond about ~20 degrees, the buttons and switches in the door stop working. Also I can see the lights in the switches turn off as well when I open the door. The outside keypad also does not work when the door is open.

The mirror turn signal and the convenience light below the mirror still works fine when the door is open however.

Where do I start to troubleshoot this? I'm assuming there is some sort of wire somewhere that is getting crimped or pinched or something. Would it be behind the door panel? Or do I need to be looking under the dash?

Thank you,
Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a bundle of wires that go from your door into the console. The action of opening and closing the door over the years has broken a lot of them. If you open the door and pull back the rubber boot containing the wires, you will see them. I believe the only two options are to start soldering/using connectors to reconnect the wires, or replace the entire wiring. Neither option is very fun.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (06-20-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my door panel disassembled. Found the problem.

How does this even happen? Why are there 3 wires that a distinctly broken from the door opening/closing but the rest of the wires appear to be fine? Is this going to happen to others wires in the future? How do I prevent this?

To fix it I guess I'm just going to splice in some new wires on the broken ones and wrap with heat shrink wrap.

Quick Reply: Door lock switch, window switches, etc don't work when door is open