Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:15 PM
In This Discussion
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: Engine Replacement Cost

The cost of replacing an engine can vary greatly. Labor can easily add up and cost the same as the engine.

Factors to consider:
  • Used/Reman/New Engine
  • Warranty

Read the full discussion below to find out what people are paying:
Print Wikipost

Engine Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Replacement Cost

Ok, my ford finally bit the big one and the engine took a ****. Mechanic said almost no compression on one of the cylinders. So question is how much does a replacement engine cost? He's looking for a used one and I see I can get a remanufactured one for 3k but what does the labor cost or about how many hours for it?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Whats wrong with the engine? Why is there no compression? Rings? Valves? Head gasket? I think you could fix it cheaper than a new engine. Seems a little excessive but that's just me and my learn as I go automotive training lol
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Cylinder is completely scorched. No compression and looked at it with a camera and it looks like the cpu just dumped fuel in it and burnt it up.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quoted $6000 at a Ford dealership and $8000 from a mechanics shop. I'm in GA.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am curious to see some of you guy's information on this.

The best price I have been quoted for a rebuilt motor with a 3yr 36k warranty is from Precision Engine- It was around $2695.00 with a $500.00 core.

LKQ told me I think (I don't quite remember exactly since it was higher than Precision) around the $3,000 range. Again, motor and a 3/36 warranty.

A guy at a Ford dealership told me he thought he may be able to get one for around $3800. 3 year unlimited mile warranty. The good thing here is that they said no matter who puts it in- if there is a problem under warranty period I would take it to any Ford dealership. Of course it would not warranty something the installer goofed on... But a nice aspect nonetheless...

The wildcard here is labor. Does anyone have any experience with what this would run? I was wondering if it would be around ~$1,000 or so?

Last edited by gcwaterski; 02-27-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by gcwaterski
I am curious to see some of you guy's information on this.

The best price I have been quoted for a rebuilt motor with a 3yr 36k warranty is from Precision Engine- It was around $2695.00 with a $500.00 core.

LKQ told me I think (I don't quite remember exactly since it was higher than Precision) around the $3,000 range. Again, motor and a 3/36 warranty.

A guy at a Ford dealership told me he thought he may be able to get one for around $3800. 3 year unlimited mile warranty. The good thing here is that they said no matter who puts it in- if there is a problem under warranty period I would take it to any Ford dealership. Of course it would not warranty something the installer goofed on... But a nice aspect nonetheless...

The wildcard here is labor. Does anyone have any experience with what this would run? I was wondering if it would be around ~$1,000 or so?
That's what I need to know is labor. Nice heads up on the precision because that's better than I have found. 3k with free shipping and free core shipping back. I am considering a junk yard engine and just trade it in and buy a new truck but if the used engine is 1k and labor $1,500 I might as well get a new engine and for $4,500 keep this for a couple of years while it pays for itself. But if the labor is $500 and used engine is $500 down the road she goes.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah I feel ya. I'll be pricing out labor here soon. Hopefully some other guys have some non - dealer price info. I was getting my oil changed last week and asked the guy there what he thought it would ballpark cost. He said they could do it a little under a thousand in labor no problem. I want a definitive estimate though! I'm not interested in dealer estimates though.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Friend of mine just had a rebuilt 3 valve 5.4 installed for $1000 labor. Motor was $3200 after core. Extras rang up another $500 or so in parts and labor. Extras included new plugs, hoses, belt, and some other things that had to be done to satisfy the warranty requirements on the rebuilt motor. If these things weren't done the warranty wouldn't be honored in case of a problem. Just something to check into when figuring cost.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Been Around!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatever your choice be sure to replace your fuel filter. Small price and easy labor and can save your new engine and the fuel pump which by itself is a nightmare in cost and labor, the bed has to be lifted to get to the pump which is inside the tank. Good luck with the engine.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with a reman. if you have the $$. You will have the warranty. You said the camera showed that the cylinder was "scorched", possibly by the cpu and dumping a lot of fuel. One or two of the earlier versions of the 5.4 was known to have a leaky injector issue. Check into that with the dealer service rep. So if you do get a reman, have new injectors put in. Other wise the mechanic might just put the old ones back in.

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement Cost