Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Problem. Need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default *SOLVED* Engine Problem. Need HELP!!!

Please give me some advice or feedback on what I've done, what I should do, what I could do, and what the problem could be. I'm at my wits end.

1st off. 2004 F140 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew/5.4/Gotts mod/new MC plugs/COPS/MC fuel filter/K&N drop in/EDGE evo set on 2/325-65-18 tires, 125,000 miles.

I was driving into a 25 mph headwind. Kayak was strapped to the top of the truck. Heading 20 miles down a paved road to the beach. I was traveling about 55 mph with cruise control on. The overdrive would cycle in and out every once in a while because of uphill grades and sometimes for no other reason than the headwind.
About 15 miles into the drive, I started loosing power. The truck was loosing speed and I killed the cruise control and manually tried to keep power, but the engine started pinging so I brought down the speed to about 30 mph. NO CODES or C.E.L. I quickly checked the transmission temp and it read 149*. Engine coolant temp at 198*.
After getting it into the city and going through town, the power was back. I took it on the beach, had a great day and stopped to eat. At the restaurant, I remembered that I had not reprogrammed the Edge to correct tire size. I wonder if that could have been the cause of the power loss?
Does anyone have any ideas what may have happened. The drive back was a piece of cake. I'm concerned by these events and don't want to experience them again. I want to fix any problem if I can.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE DONE SINCE FIRST ENCOUNTERING THE PROBLEM
I have a chronic P0174 System Lean Bank 2. Causing quite a bit of pinging(yes...detonation ) even under medium acceleration.
I have lost signifigant power twice, limping to 30 mph. The power loss has happened twice on days with temps over 85* and usually after 15 minutes of driving.
NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
Here's a list of all mods and new parts
Gotts Mod
New Motorcraft Spark Plugs
K&N Air Filter
New Champion>Motorcraft fuel filter
New COPs from uneeksupply(questionable)
Edge Evo set at 2, wheels size set and shift firmness 12/12/9

Here is what I have checked and done with no change to the problem.
--Reset Edge to factory stock tune.
--Cleaned MAF and Throttle body.
--Fuel Pressure check (Edge readings)
40psi KOEO.
39-41 PSI cruising at 55mph.
Under acceleration range from 35-42psi with one low reading of 25 psi and one high reading of 50 psi. I'm talking blink of an eye reading.
--Initially changed old fuel filter to Champion AZ(autozone) filter. After three days, switched to a motorcraft filter just to rule out fuel filter.
--Engine Coolant temp has not gone over 198* during power loss.
--Tranny fluid temp at 160* during power loss
--Propane check for leaks. No change in idle.
--Fuel control module (under spare) shows no signs of corrosion.
--Replaced new COPs with old COPs. No change at all.

PROBLEM SOLVED
The dealership diagnosed the issue as clogged catalytic converters. I had a local shop cut out both front and rear cats and reweld o2 bungs so I could keep the sensors. Although noise was an issue, the engine problems were solved! The noise issue was resolved with a cherry bomb glasspack followed by a Dynomax Superturbo muffler.

No codes have been thrown at all. No more lean bank, no code detecting the cats gone.

Last edited by abgarza; 04-13-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well hopefully you cleaned your maf with electronics parts cleaner and nothing else. Aside from that, maybe you got the wrong plugs. I'm just guessing here.
It's got to do with your cylinder lean warning, that's what I think. The plugs are the old type maybe? Or the COP isn't pushed in all the way (yeah I know it feels weird when you put those things in, they don't feel like they're all the way in anyways). Did you use dielectric on all the cops?

Man this is weird.

On another note, I get a K&N drop in and my air box is getting deformed from heat for some reason. Stupid think doesn't close all the way anymore, but at least the filter is tight in there and not letting anything by.

I bought a set of Cops from (uneeksupply) as well but they work great so far.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Yes, I did use MAF cleaner on the MAF and all that touched the element was the spray.

The plugs are the new style plugs.

One thing I did not do was use dielectric grease. I know what you mean about the COPs seating feeling weird. I miss the old "click" of the boot seating on the plug.

Thanks. I will slap some dielectric grease on it and take it for a spin. Does it matter if the grease gets on the spring?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Nope. dielectric grease is a grease with electical "conductive" qualities. I use it on all underhood and body electrical connectors as well.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about upgrading to the Gryphon to get rid of the lean problem???
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucko
Nope. dielectric grease is a grease with electical "conductive" qualities. I use it on all underhood and body electrical connectors as well.
Dielectric grease does NOT conduct electricity. That is why you usually use it to seal/lube spark plug boots since it resists moisture and won't allow the spark to travel down the plug boot. You can use it for connectors to lube the seals so they slide on easier and don't stick but don't put it on the pins or females.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Common misunderstanding.

Dielectric=2 electrical properties.

The reason you can use dielectric grease on spark plugs is the nature of the material.

At extremely high voltages, (i.e. spark plug voltages) the grease is actually a conductor. In most states, however, it is an insulator.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM

I didn't get a chance to put on the DEG, but when I originally swapped out the COPs, there was no grease on the original COPs either.

I think I'm just going to take it into the dealership. The price for diagnostics is $95.00 and my mother in law gave me a crispy new $100.00 bill in my Easter basket! I'll get the diagnostic and do the repairs myself. I will make sure to post up the results and the progress on the repairs.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by abgarza; 04-05-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Well, the truck is sleeping at the dealership tonight. I called ahead after leaving work at 4:30 and told the service manager what was going on and I would be coming in. When I got there, I parked in the service bay and ran into my old friend and his son, who also happen to be the owners of that dealership. The service bay manager came right out, took my keys, started her up and identified a miss and put her right in a bay.

Funny. On the phone he said they were very busy and would try to have it by Wednesday.

After going in his office and being offered soda and popcorn, I tell him all I've done and he says tells me to call back by tomorrow noon and he should have some answers.

I know I could've called up my friend and asked for a favor, but I respect his business practices and have never done that and never will. He does for me what he can...like knocking $5k off the top of a Premium package Mustang GT that I bought from him back in '06.

Quick Reply: Engine Problem. Need HELP!!!