Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Miss/Ignition Coils/New computer required?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Shazzam!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Miss/Ignition Coils/New computer required?

So I had a kerfuffle and a bunch of codes...ignition coils, CHT sensor. So, I got a new set (2nd time since I've owned the truck I've put some on) and put them all on. Also managed to get the CHT sensor on (man, what a chore...) Cleared codes, restarted, etc...still a fault code on 7 (P0357). Switched the coil, code did not follow, so it's in cylinder 7 and not the coil. Put a new connector on 7 and still the code and miss. SOOOOO the mechanic (from my work, he moonlights for side work) and I did some checking on the wires. Voltage on one wire, no voltage or ground on the other. No signal from the ECM. Also did a continuity test on the pink/blue wire, and ECM to ignition coil was good.

So, I *think* I need a new ECM, and then need it programmed. Is that the most likely problem? If I do need to buy an ECM, is there anything I should know ahead of time? Tips/tricks? Any help is appreciated...right now I'm carpooling with my wife so my truck is just parked outside of my house.

2004 F150, 5.4L, about 220k miles.

Last edited by jljde; 12-11-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

FWIW... Try changing the plug yet? Possible it was cracked before/upon installation and now causing grief.

I don’t know if ground on coils go through ECM or not, so I can’t help you there.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

if you drove it long enough it could have fried the coil driver in the PCM, seen that before
Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default You don't say if cops OEM

Cleaning contacts of oem coils is a must do . New plugs are the sp546 mc . Yes the PCM flashes the ground on cops, an overload can burn driver out on pcm . Make sure wire is inspected to ground so pcm can control same .
I don't have any luck with non oem cops . A set pf non are $60 ,one oem can run $50 so does that tell you anything about quality . Yes clean the carbon out of the head that breaks plugs going in and out in the tip area (use carb cleaner), no additive is going to get that tough carbon out of there. Clean cop and spring .Easy on that dielectric grease it is an insulator.
Your cop have standing 12vdc on cop when key on, check for that it jumpers around . Then you have the injectors maybe swap those too. I believe in changing injectors after 100k they can leak and hydro lock engine ,then shes toast . Injectors are controlled the same way .
P0357 =Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction=no 7 Drivers side third one in from radiator

Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Shazzam!

Originally Posted by djfllmn
if you drove it long enough it could have fried the coil driver in the PCM, seen that before
After the electrical and continuity test(s), that's what the mechanic seemed to think was plausible or at least most likely. I just don't know anything to look out for when buying an ECM. Looks like it's just unbolt old, unplug wire bundles, bolt on new one, plug back in, then program. I think at least. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Shazzam!

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Cleaning contacts of oem coils is a must do . New plugs are the sp546 mc . Yes the PCM flashes the ground on cops, an overload can burn driver out on pcm . Make sure wire is inspected to ground so pcm can control same .
I don't have any luck with non oem cops . A set pf non are $60 ,one oem can run $50 so does that tell you anything about quality . Yes clean the carbon out of the head that breaks plugs going in and out in the tip area (use carb cleaner), no additive is going to get that tough carbon out of there. Clean cop and spring .Easy on that dielectric grease it is an insulator.
Your cop have standing 12vdc on cop when key on, check for that it jumpers around . Then you have the injectors maybe swap those too. I believe in changing injectors after 100k they can leak and hydro lock engine ,then shes toast . Injectors are controlled the same way .
P0357 =Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction=no 7 Drivers side third one in from radiator
Replacing the coil we took the time to blow each spot out pretty thoroughly and inspected the wires for exposed areas to cause shorts, etc. I just don't want to put in a new ECM, pay to program it, then have it still missing. :/
Old 12-11-2018, 11:22 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Shazzam!

Right...pink with a blue stripe was the one we tracked and tested.

Originally Posted by redfishtd

Quick Reply: Engine Miss/Ignition Coils/New computer required?