Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine bay to cab wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Engine bay to cab wiring

I need to run wiring from the engine bay to the passenger footwell area, the driver footwell area as well as behind the passenger side rear seat. What is the best way to run that wiring? I didn't see any obvious spots like in my 95. Once in the cab, is it a clear shot under all the door sills to the rear of the cab? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Elephant
I need to run wiring from the engine bay to the passenger footwell area, the driver footwell area as well as behind the passenger side rear seat. What is the best way to run that wiring? I didn't see any obvious spots like in my 95. Once in the cab, is it a clear shot under all the door sills to the rear of the cab? Thanks!
there is a hole in your fire wall meant for this there is a rubber plug thing with a slot in it all you want to do to find it is look on the drivers side part of the firewall and behind the accelerator but further up you move a piece of insulation and it is right there I will up load pics tomorrow
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks I got it all worked out through that rubber grommet. Here what I ended up doing:

I have emergency lights in my front windshield as well as in my back window. I like to keep it all temporary without permanently modifying anything so I can remove them if needed to sell the truck, upgrade the lights, or replace broken ones. I didn't like my wiring being in front of my dash nor did I like taking up my precious 12v outlets.

I installed three total extra 12v outlets, but I wanted to keep them all hidden. Outlet #1 is under the drivers side dash, next to the parking brake release. This is a simple always-on accessory plug and is for my GPS unit installed on the drivers side of the windshield.

The second is in a similar place but on the passenger side and way up in the footwell. I also wanted to keep it as a cigarette lighter type plug because the light bars have momentary switches on the plug for various options. This one is switched by a lighted SPST switch under the dash on the drivers side. Clean and out of the way.

The third is in the back. Since I didn't want to remove the rear seat to do this and still wanted access to it later, I bolted it just under the passenger side flip up seat. This outlet is also switched with the front one from the same switch.

I ran the wiring through the grommet and along the windshield cowl to an auxiliary fuse block that I installed. The fuse block is supplied by a 12 ga wire with 20A master fuse from the battery. Everything is grounded locally.

Things left to do:

Cover all my wiring with plastic sleeves, paint the outlet brackets and switch bracket black.

I also wired up my scanner by running it through the same grommet to the fuse block.
The following users liked this post:
ophidia (08-21-2013)

Quick Reply: Engine bay to cab wiring