Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

edge problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default edge problems

I have a 2004 F150 with a 5.4 and a edge evolution. The other day my screen froze up and wouldn't change. I left it for an hour and it never changed so I just unhooked the battery and it hasn't done it since. Has anyone else experienced this problem
Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"froze up" as in the same display the whole time?

When it gets cold mine will stay on. or when it comes on it will just light up and not show any of the lettering or anything...

It got to the point this winter where I just left it unplugged all the time
Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
"froze up" as in the same display the whole time?

When it gets cold mine will stay on. or when it comes on it will just light up and not show any of the lettering or anything...

It got to the point this winter where I just left it unplugged all the time
Yes the screen won't turn off when I turn the truck off and the screen wouldn't change. Is there a way to fix it other than unhooking the battery?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM

you dont need to unhook battery. You just unplug it from the obd2 computer plug under the steering column and wait a few secs and plug back in. Thats all there is too it. The edge gets the power from the obd2 plug. If you unplug your battery your messin with the trucks computer/electric. It will reboot the unit similar to rebooting your home computer when you plug back in. This is well known for the edge when its cold out, or battery power is getting weak. It happened to me twice this winter. One because it was -10 out, and one cause the battery was weak so im guessing the "well-known facts" are valid.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just talking about how my edge backlight will come on but not the numbers or writing or anything. Some awesome forum members informed me that it was most likely due to a weak battery like said above ^^ So with that in mind, if I were to jump my truck (which isnt necessary) would it work? I really don't wanna buy a $150 battery to test this theory.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Evil150
I was just talking about how my edge backlight will come on but not the numbers or writing or anything. Some awesome forum members informed me that it was most likely due to a weak battery like said above ^^ So with that in mind, if I were to jump my truck (which isnt necessary) would it work? I really don't wanna buy a $150 battery to test this theory.
if you can get your numbers to come on, turn the key on but do not start the truck. on your screen if you have the batt gauge as one of the options on it, it will show your volt of just the batt on the edge. It should read around 12.5ish not running, and 14.5ish running.
If your screen on the edge doesnt work at all, then have a garage do a cheap simple test on the system and they can tell you if your battery is bad before you go and blow the $$!

weak batteries reek havoc on the edge and make them do weirdo things, lol!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxout05
if you can get your numbers to come on, turn the key on but do not start the truck. on your screen if you have the batt gauge as one of the options on it, it will show your volt of just the batt on the edge. It should read around 12.5ish not running, and 14.5ish running.
If your screen on the edge doesnt work at all, then have a garage do a cheap simple test on the system and they can tell you if your battery is bad before you go and blow the $$!

weak batteries reek havoc on the edge and make them do weirdo things, lol!
Yea it doesnt work at all, thanks for the info buddy! I'll make sure to do that.

Quick Reply: edge problems