Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Edge Evo and battery

Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge Evo and battery

Well if you've seen a couple of my posts, I installed an Edge Evo in mid-December. Since then my truck battery has died 4x and took 2x to pass emissions. Each time the battery has died is when I've either adjusted my tune or returned to stock, well last night was #4 and all I did was turn the key on but not start. I rolled the truck out of the garage while I packed hunting gear and when I tried to crank...nothing. I've had the battery tested 2x with both "good." Needless to say say it's frustrating. However, I'm in luck...my brother has a Optima Red Top that he took off his Jeep that was totaled in Dec 2010. It's been sitting in the basement since, we charged it overnight on 2amps and it cranked up with a little effort after roughly 18 hours on the charger. I drove for appox 40 mins and it was running 14.2 amps the whole time. Fingers crossed it cranks in the morning and I figure out of my Edge is possessed or just discovered my battery was bad.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Really don't think your EDGE has anything to do with it. It powers down when you shut your truck off.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Yeah, the Edge doesn't stay on. The problem is after the PCM write, when it's finished the key is on but when I go to turn it over its dead. 6-disk CD players goes nuts by moving disks around and the needles shake.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

AWE...that's sign's of your battery going bad....replace your Battery and I'll bet your problems go away...
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

The Edge might slightly have something to do with it, if your truck sits for long periods. However, a weak battery will make the problem prominent. Bill Cohron at PHP says the Edge/Gryphon platform draws about 0.05 Amps when off for its "keep alive" memory. This keeps your alert settings, records, etc. You can unplug it from the OBD II port to avoid this if it sits for a long time.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Señor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by otto457
The Edge might slightly have something to do with it, if your truck sits for long periods. However, a weak battery will make the problem prominent. Bill Cohron at PHP says the Edge/Gryphon platform draws about 0.05 Amps when off for its "keep alive" memory. This keeps your alert settings, records, etc. You can unplug it from the OBD II port to avoid this if it sits for a long time.

I wonder how long it can be unplugged before the memory is wiped...hmmm.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MoDy150
I wonder how long it can be unplugged before the memory is wiped...hmmm.
Not long because those capacitors inside of it can only hold a charge for so long.

Hmm just noticed you have a 2007 F150 and I'm guessing you haven't changed the stock battery have you? It is definitely time for a change seeing as how that battery is a little older than 5 years.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I posted this earlier, sounds like a similar issue with battery testing good:
"2005 F150 STX 4X4 4.6L Edge
My wife went to start truck and just got a weird clicking sound, kind of like the battery was weak/dead. The only readout was the programmer and it said "hex key not found". I figured it had to be the battery so I put the charger on it for a few hours, the charger was reading that it was applying a full 6 amps for the entire time. After the time on the charger it started right up, let it set overnight and it started with no problem. Had it checked at the service station and the readings were good, fully charged. Terminals were clean and tight, it had been sitting for a week or so but that should not have run the battery down and the fact that I only charged it a few hours and drove it less than 10 miles would not have fully charged a dead battery. What do you think happened?"
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 PM

It's the 2nd battery, dealer put a new one in when I bought it.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM

I have an 08 Lariat 4x4 with the 5.4. I've had it about a year and never had a minute's trouble with it. Bought and Edge Evolution CS Friday and put it on. It's been working great, but went outside to crank the truck tonight and it did exactly what you were describing. Battery acted like it was dead when I turned the key and the cd changer was going haywire. Luckily a buddy of mine had just stopped by and had his jumper cables. Hooked them up and it started right up. Has to be related to the programmer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edge Evo and battery