Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drive Gear Wont Engage

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Gear Wont Engage

I have a 2008 F-150 King Ranch 4x2. Shiftier in center console. Starting a week ago I noticed it doesnt like going into "D". It will go into reverse just fine, as well as "1" and "2" and then I can shift up to "D" and its fine. Drive will eventually engage if you give it RPM's, but when it engages it give you whip-lash and feel thats not the best method to use. Once its been engaged to "D" its fine and stays even at stops and lights where not moving. Its only from park that this happens. So I took it to AAMCO and they said it was not a transmission issue and found that cylinder 1 & 7 were had a miss and I went ahead and replaced all the spark plugs. Drove it home (went into "D") fine no problems so though "cool, its fixed" Then I went to the gas station and it wouldn't go into "D" so I used the method of going to "2" and then up to "D" and its fine. I called AAMCO back and they said "well its not the transmission" and left it at that. Looking for some insight or light to what could be causing this odd issue.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shift cable bushings.

There's a youtube video floating around that mentions a specific dorman part number from the "Help!" section. Snap the new grommet in the transmission side of the cable, and you're good to go.

Dorman 14041. You'll only use one of the bushings in the kit.

Last edited by fuxxy; 02-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

^either that or neutral safety switch is shot.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

It just about has to be the shift cable bushing. I can't see how the NSS could create a physical problem with gear position indexing.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
It just about has to be the shift cable bushing. I can't see how the NSS could create a physical problem with gear position indexing.
Mine was frozen and the plastic bushing cracked, so shifter position couldn't translate to transmission shifter input shaft motion in a 1:1. Shifter was tough to move; if left untouched, shifter cable and/or bushing would have failed.
The following users liked this post:
PerryB (02-12-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I have an extended warranty on the truck so I took it to the local mechanic and he said there is a busing / seal about the pump in the transmission and it was allowing fluid to seep past causing drive to not engage correctly. Which is why when I would give it RPMs it would finally engage, just very violent. That pump would move more fluid allowing it to engage. They went ahead and put a reman in and its working fine now. How a new problem came up, the backup camera wont work going from drive to reverse, but does work going from park to reverse, oddest thing I swear.

On a side note I have had a little of a rough idle when truck is warm at stop lights and drive-thrus. Any ideas about this... I'm going to try to clean the throttle body and MAF to see if that helps.

Quick Reply: Drive Gear Wont Engage