Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Doing a little rust repair on the frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Doing a little rust repair on the frame

I've got a 2006 FX4 with about 76,000 miles on it and the frame is starting to rust. Not terrible rust, but enough to annoy me. I was thinking about going through the frame this summer and grinding off all the rust and priming and painting the bad spots. Then i was going to have the whole underside of the truck undercoated before winter. If the frame has already started to rust is there no point in doing all this work? Or if i prime and paint everything will the undercoat be beneficial? decisions....decisions....
Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bwFX42006
I've got a 2006 FX4 with about 76,000 miles on it and the frame is starting to rust. Not terrible rust, but enough to annoy me. I was thinking about going through the frame this summer and grinding off all the rust and priming and painting the bad spots. Then i was going to have the whole underside of the truck undercoated before winter. If the frame has already started to rust is there no point in doing all this work? Or if i prime and paint everything will the undercoat be beneficial? decisions....decisions....
There is rust converter spray that I know some people will say doesn't work but I did it before winter and the frame looks like it made it through with out getting worse. Its easy to do also and turns black after it drys so no need to paint the frame after.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive been battling it with mine too. I live in upstate NY and salt just eats everything around here. I use a wire brush,and power washer every spring, then rust inhibiter. and a good quality undercoat over it. I just had all 4 door jams repainted because they started to get a little rust along the edges. Its a loosing battle around here but you have to do what you can to slow it down. Best thing I can say is wash it at least once a week during the winter. I have a car wash pass I buy every winter its good for unlimited washes for 24 bucks a month. worth every penny.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah I also live in upstate NY and the salt around here is ridiculous. There's no way to keep anything looking nice around here.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 AM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Its probably just surface rust and really not a big deal

Quick Reply: Doing a little rust repair on the frame