Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Compressing valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressing valve Springs

I'm replacing the timing set on my 2007 f150 5.4 3v engine and need to compress the valve springs.. does anyone know how to do this without having to buy the 50$ tool off amazon..?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 AM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Trust me, just pony up and buy the tool. It will make life 1000% better when you use it! I bought the same one and it made the job a wee bit easier. I couldn't imagine not having that tool and dealing with 24 valve springs.
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24429-Compressor-3-Valve-Engines/dp/B075ZHX1BS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538650221&sr=8-4&keywords=ford+3+valve+spring+compressor https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24429-Compressor-3-Valve-Engines/dp/B075ZHX1BS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538650221&sr=8-4&keywords=ford+3+valve+spring+compressor

I also got this off ebay since it was cheaper and helped tremendously. I didn't use the cheese wedge though.
https://www.amazon.com/ELONN-Ford-Engine-Complete-Combo/dp/B07D1MJTCX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538650233&sr=8-2&keywords=ford+3valve+cam+phaser+tool https://www.amazon.com/ELONN-Ford-Engine-Complete-Combo/dp/B07D1MJTCX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538650233&sr=8-2&keywords=ford+3valve+cam+phaser+tool
Old 10-04-2018, 09:12 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 634 Likes on 570 Posts

Default Just remove cams

If you set it up at the timing point before you take chains off is best . But removing cams means no valves down to bend . No fooling with expensive clumsy tool and running the risk of dropping valve
Just set the cam lobes and timing point on crank gear at 6 oclock .Then start loosening cam bolts from the center out per book sequence a little at a time . all cam stuff has to go back exactly where it came out so mark them . Then on reinstall carefully set it on and watch roller stay in place and tighten in sequence slowly after hand oiling everything . Torque down to 8 foot pounds .

I don't have the cam bolt sequence on this computer ,I'll try to send it later . This should be done anyway to check all rollers and lashs . Clean everything and prime lashs with new oil . I had to change all mine since it had thrown no 8 intake roller to the side . A lot of noise comes from bad rollers and lashs .
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Mark

Received 2,431 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Killjoy22
I'm replacing the timing set on my 2007 f150 5.4 3v engine and need to compress the valve springs.. does anyone know how to do this without having to buy the 50$ tool off amazon..?
Auto Zone may have this tool for use Free...just leave a deposit.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by redfishtd
If you set it up at the timing point before you take chains off is best . But removing cams means no valves down to bend . No fooling with expensive clumsy tool and running the risk of dropping valve
Just set the cam lobes and timing point on crank gear at 6 oclock .Then start loosening cam bolts from the center out per book sequence a little at a time . all cam stuff has to go back exactly where it came out so mark them . Then on reinstall carefully set it on and watch roller stay in place and tighten in sequence slowly after hand oiling everything . Torque down to 8 foot pounds .

I don't have the cam bolt sequence on this computer ,I'll try to send it later . This should be done anyway to check all rollers and lashs . Clean everything and prime lashs with new oil . I had to change all mine since it had thrown no 8 intake roller to the side . A lot of noise comes from bad rollers and lashs .
So after setting the crank dot to 60 oclock, do you loosen the cam caps to remove camshaft before removing the chain or after?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to bump this... anyone have good detailed procedure on removing cams?
Old 04-05-2019, 01:14 PM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

FordTechMakuloco has an excellent 4 part series on youtube which includes the removal of the cams if memory serves me half way decent.

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan3306
FordTechMakuloco has an excellent 4 part series on youtube which includes the removal of the cams if memory serves me half way decent.
Yeah he does have a great videos but I could never find the Cam video, he talked about making one but don’t think he ever did.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Once the cams are neutralized (as per his videos... I forget which combination of intake/exhaust valves on 1,4,5,8 cylinders, but would be apparent when looking at them), unbolt the caps and remove them. If the cams are neutralized there shouldn't be tension on the cap bolts. When I pulled mine, I actually rotated the engine so that I could remove all cam followers on all valves and cylinders before removing the cams. Unnecessary, yes, but I wanted the practice.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:09 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 634 Likes on 570 Posts

Default Its best to remove cams at timing point and reinstall at same

I am not a video maker . But sure remove chains before removing cams . Then using the correct sequence to not stress cam loosen all bolts a little at a time . If you are changing cam phasers I would use the toothed holding tool and remove them first just be gentle handling cam . Keep everything in order facing the same exact way they came out. I marked mine first . Doing it this way saves using that clumsy tool and you don't run the risk of knocking off a keeper then dropping valve .
It is very easy to reinstall cam as long as you eyeball it good and bolt it down in sequence .
This gives you full access to deal with all rollers and lashs . Eight pounds of torque is nothing hard to deal with or you can use 89 inch pounds if you have that wrench . All parts are worn in their location thats why you want to put them back the same . This doesn't apply to new rollers and lashs .
The cams on pass side and drivers side are different don't mix them up . Cams are installed with the crank dot at 6 oclock and cams facing per book on cyl 1 and 5 . Using aftermarket phasers are a no no ,you are wasting time and money plus it may cause damage .
I would advise all new rollers and lashs for around $265 . The new ones are redesigned . The new rollers oil port is more aimed ar roller wheel .
You will need the toothed tool to install new phasers , I don't like the vicegrip method . Clean the lash wells and head real good ,clean oil groove on bearing cap .
Cover exhaust manifold and hand oil all parts during assembly . You will get some smoking off manifold on start up so minimize it .
You will be surprized how simple this is if you have plenty of light and take your time .
Of course the phasers are installed using the two step torque per ford book . Make sure you align pin to cam

Quick Reply: Compressing valve Springs