Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Combining factory keyless entry with remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combining factory keyless entry with remote start?

Guys, just picked up my new to me 2008 Lariat this weekend. It came with factory keyless entry and remote start but they are operated on two different remotes. Has anyone solved the problem of combining the two features on one remote similar to the GM solution? I've searched this site and all over the internet but haven't found a solution yet. Two remotes is a bit of a hassle!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Hack
Guys, just picked up my new to me 2008 Lariat this weekend. It came with factory keyless entry and remote start but they are operated on two different remotes. Has anyone solved the problem of combining the two features on one remote similar to the GM solution? I've searched this site and all over the internet but haven't found a solution yet. Two remotes is a bit of a hassle!
There should be a way to get your remote start to adapt to the factory keyless entry (with the remote start remote).Figure out what remote start system you have and download the installation manual..

If your remote start is a bottom of the barrel setup, then you likely don't have an unlock or lock button on your remote.. If this is the case, install a more capable remote start system.... I'd suggest something with an alarm/remote start/keyless entry..
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used my truck's owner's manual and just programmed the truck to accept my remote start. Works like a champ.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Does your remote start remote control have lock and unlock buttons? If so, do the lights flash when you press lock and unlock on that remote but just do nothing in the truck ? sounds like they did the same thing as my dad and were too lazy to wire the lock and unlock wires on the remote start.

Gm can do it through the bypass module depending on the type. 2004-2008 f150 you have to wire directly from the remote start unit to the factory lock and unlock wires.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to post a pic of what I got from the dealer. The manual says this is a Code Alarm for Ford OEM installation remote start. Trying to combine these two remotes in to one. Any advice? I have the pic saved in my photo album if the url didn't load here. I appreciate the feedback so far.
Attached Thumbnails Combining factory keyless entry with remote start?-photo.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Hack
I am trying to post a pic of what I got from the dealer. The manual says this is a Code Alarm for Ford OEM installation remote start. Trying to combine these two remotes in to one. Any advice? I have the pic saved in my photo album if the url didn't load here. I appreciate the feedback so far.
It looks like your gonna need to look to the aftermarket for a remote start, alarm, and keyless entry all in one solution.. You may be able to get away with buying a different remote, but it might be complicated.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Ahh, that makes more sense.

It's still going to be a "somewhat" aftermarket alarm, there should be a box under the dash somewhere. Like Especial86 said, you *might* be able to get away with a different remote depending on the control unit in there (if it has door lock/unlock wires and if they have been wired - otherwise you'd have to wire that too).

My personal opinion, if you were going to go through the trouble of finding a remote that works for that unit, you're probably cheaper to just buy a new remote start unit with a remote that has lock/unlock, pull out the old brain, put the new brain in. Since one has already been installed before, it'll make tracing the wires a little quicker (and a hood pin should already be installed, hopefully tach wire too). Just my thoughts....

Quick Reply: Combining factory keyless entry with remote start?