Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cold weather nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather nightmare!

I have a 2004 f150 Fx4 with roughly 133k. My problem is that it will not start in cold weather. To clarify this a little, it will if it's 40° and the sun is out. If it's 50° with no sun it won't. I can put a space heater in the cab and heat it for 20-30min and it will start but have to let the truck warm up itself or it will die a block out of the driveway. It's cranks but there's no fuel. I have removed the filter right after cranking and it's bone dry. Now to the parts and money in it. I have put 2 fuel pumps and filter in it within the last 5k, tried 2 fpdm, crank sensor, cam sensors, new pcm, new fuse box, both vct solenoids, both cam phasers and a tune up. This all started last January and just drove it when I could. Once warm weather hit I never had an issue. Now that it's cold again I have the same issue. I can force the pump to turn on by jumping the connecter at the driver module and leaving it like that till the truck warms up but then I have to shut it off unhook my jumpers, plug in the connecter then it's good to go. Our local Ford shop had it for 2 weeks and couldn't figure it out. I would reward the person who points me in the right direction.
appreciate any help.

David

Last edited by dv86; 10-28-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10-28-2018, 08:03 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 634 Likes on 570 Posts

I wonder if its more related to ground connections on rear axle . All electrical connections are temp sensitive . grounds will drive you crazy .Clean them all . The fpdm determines fuel pump start You need to monitor fuel pump power vs signal missing to fpdm Also clean kick panel drivers and pass side grounds . Clean connectors under drivers side with contact cleaner .At least you know its a fuel press problem . You know there is a fuel rail pressure sensor on fuel rail .I made a overall diagram off this total circuit of many pages but I lost it -damn it was hard to follow . Fuel is carefully monitored to keep from having a fire situation . there are a bunch of inputs to fpdm . I did have problems with gasket in fpdm connector causing intermittent connection . .I had to take it out, fine since . Run some monitor wires so you don't have to crawl under there all the time .
Torque pro app will give you fuel pressure .
Old 10-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking the same thing as far as a ground issue. I have cleaned all the grounds on the passenger side behind the fuse box as well as the grounds around the pcm on the firewall. I want to pull the bed off and trace and track wires as well as clean all the grounds I can find underneath the bed.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a similar problem to this thread...that you left us hanging with...

04 FX4 cranks but does not stat cold morning

@redfishtd this was the one!

Last edited by Daz73; 10-30-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold weather nightmare!