Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

clunk noise after rear seals and diff fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Default clunk noise after rear seals and diff fluid change

2004 Fx4 118 k. Noticed one of my rear wheels was wet on the inside the other day so I pulled the wheel and sure enough blown seal so I replaced both rear wheel seals and of course changed the rear diff fluid. All motorcraft stuff. Took it for a short test drive and everything seemed fine. Was driving it today up a slight incline and after letting off of the gas and then tapping it slowly I heard and felt a clunk. It sounded like the rear driver side wheel area. had my wife drive it when I got home and sounded like passenger side as well as I tried to listen. Only does it on inclines. I should say rear axle seals to clarify. I lubed the slip yoke today just in case and still doing it. What could be causing this. You really can't mess up this type of repair. Axles went back in good, that push rod went back in good, u shaped clips and tightened that bolt. silicone the cover and filled her up with friction modifier and new diff fluid. Checked level today along with transmission level. Everything is good but it doesn't sound good. Can make it do it at any incline while going slow and re applying the gas. Its like a slip/bang, not super loud but wasn't there before I did the repair. Can you mess something up on this job? Did I do something wrong. What should I do next? Don't really feel like pulling the diff cover again. Any thoughts
Old 06-09-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Did you add friction modifier for the clutch packs?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Did you add friction modifier for the clutch packs?
Yes, was in my post
Old 06-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the bolt on slide pin is loose?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gris f150
Could be the bolt on slide pin is loose?
I hope not. I really cranked down on that bolt and put locktite as recommended
I don't know enough about this to know how it works with the symptoms. I really don't want to yank that messy cover again but if I have to for piece of mind I will. Thanks
Old 06-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Like you said, piece of mind might be worth to look into it !
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Like you said, piece of mind might be worth to look into it !
Well, yanked the diff cover again and everything looked "good" bolt was tight as was push pin and c clamps. Spun wheels with truck jacked up and nothing obvious. Re filled with 75/140 instead of the 90 I used and drove it today and the clunk is still there. even does it on level ground. Does not do anything from a stop to quick accelerate. Have to be going and re apply the gas and there is a delay and then a slight bang or clunk. pushed on drive shaft at diff and u joints and no play. I'm just going to drive it. it otherwise shifts good while driving. I was going to schedule a timing job now this crops up. Man I"ll tell you this truck frustrates me
Old 06-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Man that sucks! I say just drive it! I'm sure that clunk had to be there before the seals is just that you never notice!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Man that sucks! I say just drive it! I'm sure that clunk had to be there before the seals is just that you never notice!
Drove it a lot yesterday and seems to have settled down or like you said was there before and didn't notice. Oh well. take care