Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cat converter & O2 sensor problems 2005 Ford f150

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat converter & O2 sensor problems 2005 Ford f150

I have a 2005 f150 fx4. My cat converters stopped up. I took my truck to a mom and pop muffler shop. They gutted my converters so I pretty much just running mufflers. My truck is cutting out and is running very rough. So I went and bought a hyper chip programer to find out what codes were were going off. Of course it was all 4 O2 sensors. My question is there anything I can do with out going and dropping a grand on new cat converters? Maybe O2 spacers? By the way I found out later that it was illegal for them to gut the converters. Anyway what done is done . how do I fix it and get my truck running right?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i thought Mom knows best . ? I guess Pop was there too and screw up everthing for You.,lol
Most States is illegal without cats .If you get caught Its a big penalty , Out of your State .like Illinois or .California they will take your Car away . i wish i can help .Good luck
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like its time to throw down some serious jack! They don't sell um used
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 AM
^ formerly hdub00

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like its hard to detect if the pickup has gutted cats or not. I wouldnt talk about it. Haha.

Why cant you just replace the O2 sensors?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to much air flow. thats what the o2s detect. i hear moving them back farther helps, but don't quote me.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google "O2 Sensor Simulator". Maybe you find something to help.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by opie333
I have a 2005 f150 fx4. My cat converters stopped up. I took my truck to a mom and pop muffler shop. They gutted my converters so I pretty much just running mufflers. My truck is cutting out and is running very rough. So I went and bought a hyper chip programer to find out what codes were were going off. Of course it was all 4 O2 sensors. My question is there anything I can do with out going and dropping a grand on new cat converters? Maybe O2 spacers? By the way I found out later that it was illegal for them to gut the converters. Anyway what done is done . how do I fix it and get my truck running right?
First off... If your cats stopped up, then you have been dumping raw gas into it causing them to melt down and hinder flow... Your first order of business should be tracking down the bad spark plug or cop that has likely caused the misfire and took out the cats...
Second... You can get replacement cats for your truck for prices starting at $80 if you look carefully... I personally recommend you go with a magnaflow high flow and only buy 2 of them, even if you had 4 cats. You need to put them in between the two 02 sensors on both sides... This should make you legal again, and stop the codes from popping up. If you can install them yourself you will save a lot of money... But check for a misfire first, because this is likely why your cats failed.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM

A way to get the light to go out, with leaving the converters gutted is buy a pack of spark plug non-foulers, there cheap like $5-6 bucks two come it a pack; one pack is all you need. Put one on each one of the rear O2 sensor and the light will go off. If you need me to explain any better let me know.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
First off... If your cats stopped up, then you have been dumping raw gas into it causing them to melt down and hinder flow... Your first order of business should be tracking down the bad spark plug or cop that has likely caused the misfire and took out the cats...
Second... You can get replacement cats for your truck for prices starting at $80 if you look carefully... I personally recommend you go with a magnaflow high flow and only buy 2 of them, even if you had 4 cats. You need to put them in between the two 02 sensors on both sides... This should make you legal again, and stop the codes from popping up. If you can install them yourself you will save a lot of money... But check for a misfire first, because this is likely why your cats failed.
Originally Posted by hunting080189
A way to get the light to go out, with leaving the converters gutted is buy a pack of spark plug non-foulers, there cheap like $5-6 bucks two come it a pack; one pack is all you need. Put one on each one of the rear O2 sensor and the light will go off. If you need me to explain any better let me know.
why

Quick Reply: Cat converter & O2 sensor problems 2005 Ford f150