Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Camshaft locking tool and tentioner locking tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft locking tool and tentioner locking tool

Are these tools absolutaly nessisary to pull the head i understand timing is critical but if chain goes back on in same place exactly isint that accomplished
Old 07-27-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot this is a 06 f150 4.6 2v
Old 07-27-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingloriousbob
Are these tools absolutaly nessisary to pull the head i understand timing is critical but if chain goes back on in same place exactly isint that accomplished
If you mean cam phaser lock tool. I think its worth it in case you have chains off and want to remove/install new phasers. I tried timing my 04 with cams still in and the chains would not line up as to where they were when I marked the cam. They wanted to pull and shift back. If you're just doing a timing job without new cam phasers some guys say you can vice grip the cams to keep them still and replace chains and tensioners. I have no experience with this method. I followed a 4 part series from you tube on timing an 04 to 08 F150 to the detail. It took a while and was not easy but came out good in the end. I also bought the valve spring compressor tool to get the rollers back in under the cam lobes after I had timed it without them in.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default you don't need the valve compressor tool if you are pulling cams

The tool for holding the cam gear is very good . It's not that expensive and you will need it at least 4 times . I don't care for the vise grip method . You don't have phasors.
The crankshaft alignment tool is not necessary either, it helps keeps crank gear at six o'clock .
You must put cams back in proper position before you think about moving crankshaft . If the cams are installed without doing that you can bend valves . Put them in per book then put chains on of course crank gear dot is at 6 oclock. Failure to insure that manually you can turn crank clockwise 2 turns after chains on with no piston to valve contact is imperative . .

Its simple, if the cams are installed some valves are down,and you move the crank and they are not synced properly/ with chains you may bend a valve or poke a hole in piston .Proper handling of cams are important ,all parts must go back exactly how they come out .There is a slow sequence of removing bolts and installing cam bolts check shop manual .
Old 07-29-2017, 10:47 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

For your 4.6 2 valve things are different. Cam holder tool is the same, but with no phaser in that engine you won't need to worry about taking the sprockets off the cams. The valve spring compressor is different than the 3v engine's, too.

If your going to spend the money to get that deep into an engine, get the manual and read it x5.

The only top end trouble your 2v should have is bad followers and collapsed lash adjusters. You might have the ratcheting metal tensioners. Clean them up and find a pin to hold them closed.

Get new chains, guides, Followers and lashers.. then never worry about it again.

Last edited by Eric Kleven; 07-29-2017 at 10:50 PM.