Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cam Phaser plus Timing Chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 AM
SoCal Thread Shredder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cam Phaser plus Timing Chain issues

So before i bought my truck i knew i was going to have to deal with some of the engine issues because i heard the engine ticking, i bought the truck at 59k miles and have had it for about 4 years now and have 88k miles and couple weeks ago i decided to pull apart the engine on the truck since its difficult to remove a engine off a lifted truck....i pulled everything apart including the valve covers and timing chain....when i took it all apart the chain was very loose and the tensioners were very loose....so i replaced all those things and put it back together and started it up and sounded beautiful.........After the truck warmed up the noise came back

So now i still have the cam phaser issue but only when the truck is hot other then that when i start up the truck and its cold it sounds very nice.....

I was talking to my dad since he is the one with the shop and he helps me out and he thinks its the valve lifters that need to be replaced....what do you guys think because i need to get it fixed.

Also a side question, when the truck warms up and the noise comes back it seems to have a misfire now.....checked all the injectors and COBS and theyre all fine.....maybe a connector somewhere is loose?

please let me know what kind of advice you have, thanks and here are some pics
Name:  35278edb.jpg
Views: 6715
Size:  60.8 KB
Name:  0221300b.jpg
Views: 12151
Size:  74.5 KB
Name:  c2f7b9ea.jpg
Views: 6237
Size:  38.8 KB
Name:  3c715e3d.jpg
Views: 6194
Size:  30.1 KB
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM
s_vares

Received 430 Likes on 84 Posts

I would change the Phasers and run a good quality syntectic oil from here on in.
This will clean your engine, and should help with sticking lifters and sludge.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
SoCal Thread Shredder

Originally Posted by s_vares
I would change the Phasers and run a good quality syntectic oil from here on in.
This will clean your engine, and should help with sticking lifters and sludge.
The cam phaser is the front gear on the cam right? Because I checked my dads shop computer and it didn't show anything under that. All I would have to do is just change the front gear? Because to me it doesn't seem like that kind of noise would come from that I would think its the lifters, would it be smart to change the lifters and phaser or just the phaser?

Last edited by UnleashedFord; 01-17-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM
s_vares

Yeah thats the phaser. They will tick/rattle if there is a problem with them.
If you have the valve covers off to change the phaser, you may change the lifters as well.
These trucks also have noisy injectors. are you sure this is not what you are hearing?
See those big silver parts sticking up beside the phasers in your picture?
Its the solenoid for the phasers. It can start and stop oil pressure going to the phasers to adjust the cam timing.
Unplug the one on the side making noise, start the engine. The noise may go away, if it does, its the phaser on that side. Also replace that solenoid.

Have you switched to a good quality synthetic oil and wix or Motocraft filter? if not... do it as doon as you change your parts.

Let us know how it goes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically these motor do not have lifters. They have lash adjusters which can make noise. You went thru all the work of changing the timing guides and tensioners that would have been the best time to change the phasers while you were at. Like stated above the injectors are fairly noisy also. If you decide to replace lash adjusters and cam phasers you will need a timing wedge and valve compression tool. Both available from freedom racing. They have some good information on their site.
http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/

More good info on VCT operation
http://www.flatratetech.com/content.php?pageid=9
Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by UnleashedFord
So before i bought my truck i knew i was going to have to deal with some of the engine issues because i heard the engine ticking, i bought the truck at 59k miles and have had it for about 4 years now and have 88k miles and couple weeks ago i decided to pull apart the engine on the truck since its difficult to remove a engine off a lifted truck....i pulled everything apart including the valve covers and timing chain....when i took it all apart the chain was very loose and the tensioners were very loose....so i replaced all those things and put it back together and started it up and sounded beautiful.........After the truck warmed up the noise came back

So now i still have the cam phaser issue but only when the truck is hot other then that when i start up the truck and its cold it sounds very nice.....

I was talking to my dad since he is the one with the shop and he helps me out and he thinks its the valve lifters that need to be replaced....what do you guys think because i need to get it fixed.

Also a side question, when the truck warms up and the noise comes back it seems to have a misfire now.....checked all the injectors and COBS and theyre all fine.....maybe a connector somewhere is loose?

please let me know what kind of advice you have, thanks and here are some pics
Wow. Sucks to do all that work and still have a noise. Dumb question... did you replace the plugs and coil boots?

Also, was talking to a friend about my trucks ticking noise. He used to be a mechanic at a Ford dealership. He said these trucks have something called "variable timing" that is a common issue. Maybe that's what you guys are already talking about.... I wouldn't even know. Lol. Just throwing a few things out there in case something was overlooked. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Run at least a 5w-30 the noise will quiet out alot. I had a bit of a tick when the engine got hot to at that time i was running a 5w-20. Now its alot better with barely any tick at low rpm's when hot.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
SoCal Thread Shredder

Originally Posted by s_vares
Yeah thats the phaser. They will tick/rattle if there is a problem with them.
If you have the valve covers off to change the phaser, you may change the lifters as well.
These trucks also have noisy injectors. are you sure this is not what you are hearing?
See those big silver parts sticking up beside the phasers in your picture?
Its the solenoid for the phasers. It can start and stop oil pressure going to the phasers to adjust the cam timing.
Unplug the one on the side making noise, start the engine. The noise may go away, if it does, its the phaser on that side. Also replace that solenoid.

Have you switched to a good quality synthetic oil and wix or Motocraft filter? if not... do it as doon as you change your parts.

Let us know how it goes
i can hear the injectors and its not as loud as the phaser noise, you can hear the difference. i also called Ford earlier and its 98 a piece for each solonoid, 184 for each phaser and 7 for each lifter...i am most likely going to change all of them when i get a chance and get some money and i run OEM motorcraft filter with mobil 1 full synthetic 10-30w motor oil....

Originally Posted by kevhead75
Technically these motor do not have lifters. They have lash adjusters which can make noise. You went thru all the work of changing the timing guides and tensioners that would have been the best time to change the phasers while you were at. Like stated above the injectors are fairly noisy also. If you decide to replace lash adjusters and cam phasers you will need a timing wedge and valve compression tool. Both available from freedom racing. They have some good information on their site.
http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/

More good info on VCT operation
http://www.flatratetech.com/content.php?pageid=9
thanks ill check that out
Originally Posted by JCooper
Wow. Sucks to do all that work and still have a noise. Dumb question... did you replace the plugs and coil boots?

Also, was talking to a friend about my trucks ticking noise. He used to be a mechanic at a Ford dealership. He said these trucks have something called "variable timing" that is a common issue. Maybe that's what you guys are already talking about.... I wouldn't even know. Lol. Just throwing a few things out there in case something was overlooked. Good luck.
yeah i already replaced all of that with oem motorcraft parts from the dealer about 5 months ago
Originally Posted by yoop
Run at least a 5w-30 the noise will quiet out alot. I had a bit of a tick when the engine got hot to at that time i was running a 5w-20. Now its alot better with barely any tick at low rpm's when hot.
I run mobil 10-30 full synthetic with motorcraft filer and this last time i even threw in a lucas oil thickner and didnt make a difference so most likely its the solonoid or phaser....

One thing guys im going to change the solonoid and phasers 100% but is it worth doing the lifters also? its a lot more money and not sure how much time it will take me to do it though
Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 AM
s_vares

Did you try running it with the solenoids unpugged?

It will trigger a check engine light, but will be worth a shot
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Angry 05 fx4 130,000

Always took great care, had it since it had 70k. Took in for the brake booster, had 4x4 issues, window switches, then in June wham truck starts running really rough and I shut off right away. First the MECH at JOHN WIESE FORD in SAUK CENTRE mn did the vdc is bad, $600.00 then they replaced the CAM PHASERS, $800.00. Then after that was done I need A NEW MOTOR? SOME thing is not correct about that. No recalls, no way to tell the enginine is shot before replacing the components? Then the jerks wanted over $8000.00 for the reman ford engine and labor. I ended up getting a better warranty, and a better engine with labor for under 3500.00. This is absolute crap. I love my truck, I love it, but this is pathetic.

Quick Reply: Cam Phaser plus Timing Chain issues