Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Broken coil spring

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Broken coil spring

2005 FX 4 with a 6” lift. Don’t know the brand of the lift as it was on the truck when I bought years ago. As the title states , I have a broken coil spring on the front of the truck. The best I can’t tell the shocks and springs are original equipment. My question is, would I be able to replace the shocks and springs with a oem equivalent or given the truck is lifted do I need a different than oem setup? I understand that is a broad question but I’m trying to save a few bucks and do this myself. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by boogie
2005 FX 4 with a 6” lift. Don’t know the brand of the lift as it was on the truck when I bought years ago. As the title states , I have a broken coil spring on the front of the truck. The best I can’t tell the shocks and springs are original equipment. My question is, would I be able to replace the shocks and springs with a oem equivalent or given the truck is lifted do I need a different than oem setup? I understand that is a broad question but I’m trying to save a few bucks and do this myself. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Pics? IF the parts are not stock which are in there, they may be part of your lift
The following users liked this post:
boogie (05-10-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by scobar
Pics? IF the parts are not stock which are in there, they may be part of your lift

This. It's going to depend on the lift. Most lifts use a strut spacer that goes on top of your stock strut. In that case, you would replace the strut with the stock version of your choice. Some lift kits also have options for lifted struts that replace your stock struts.
The following 2 users liked this post by tuflehundon:
boogie (05-10-2018), techrep (05-09-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by scobar

That sure would have been helpful for those trying to help me. Sorry. Unfortunately, I’m away on work and won’t be near the truck for several weeks. I will post a pick when I return.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:28 AM
ZSK

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Suspension wise, is your truck still set up the same as in this picture?

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/lets-se...x2/#post918102

If so, you have a 6" spacer lift. You can replace just the spring and be all set. If you want to change the height at all now is a great time. You could add another 1.5" to the front with a leveling strut, or replace with a 2WD / RWD length to lower the front 1" - 1.5"

Not sure if this pricing is correct, but Rock Auto is showing a pair of OEM replacement 4WD struts with springs assembled for $120.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZSK
Suspension wise, is your truck still set up the same as in this picture?

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/lets-se...x2/#post918102

If so, you have a 6" spacer lift. You can replace just the spring and be all set. If you want to change the height at all now is a great time. You could add another 1.5" to the front with a leveling strut, or replace with a 2WD / RWD length to lower the front 1" - 1.5"

Not sure if this pricing is correct, but Rock Auto is showing a pair of OEM replacement 4WD struts with springs assembled for $120.

It is the same! I probably am not in the market to add any lift ( old man) but I’d imagine the shocks are about shot as well. Truck has over 100 K on it, so I was thinking of ordering some aftermarket , moog, Monroe or such shock and spring combo and replacing the entire setup. I so much appreciate your willingness to help!! I was hoping to maintain the lift I have presently in terms of height.

Last edited by boogie; 05-11-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Quick Reply: Broken coil spring