Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

bog / hesitation and fuel mixture ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bog / hesitation and fuel mixture ?

I have an 2008 5.4L with AFE CAI, Dynomax exhaust 3in, Diablo Trinity Programmer.

When I take off or step on it to get going the engine seems to bog and then you get the hesitation at times. I know the hesitation is an issue on these trucks but whats with the bogging? I have played with the MAF using the programmer and it seems to help yet the next time I drive the truck it's there again.

I have days or moments where I love my truck and the power is great but then I have more days where I think maybe I should have bought a dodge(power) or chev. don't get me wrong I love my truck but this bogging is driving me crazy.

My farther inlaw has a 2009 Explorer sport track adrenaline edition 4.6L and when he steps on it it respondes now not later like mine. He would destroy me off the line and then pull hard on me. I know 6 speed in that truck and 5 in mine. But his response is definiately better. It jsut boggles me how other vehicles have instant response and my F150 pretty much sucks in that department.

Does anyone know what I could do to improve the response?

Also when using the programmer would I want to feed the engine more fuel at the top end since I have the AFE CAI? I'm thinking these intakes suck more at the top end and would require more fuel. So I should richen it up at WOT. I can play with the general MAF mixture and also the WOT.

Thanks and sorry if I'm all over the map with this.

Jason.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem recently and it ended up being clogged cats and O2 sensors that need to be changed. Had an entire exhaust overhaul and the truck runs and drives like new...
Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the same problem with my 05 4.6L , stomp on it off the line and nothing. But when the engine is cold it does great. Sunday I am changing the plugs and installing a diablo sport predator programmer . Will let you know if this helps.

Quick Reply: bog / hesitation and fuel mixture ?