Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Best 8" lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM
The Punisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 8" lift kit

Ive been looking around at some 8 inch kits such as full throttle suspension as well as BDS and a few others. Im headed out on deployment soon and expect to buy a nice kit when i get home again. I was wondering if anyone can give me any input towards the best kits in terms of quality and warranty without going crazy overboard on the price tag. Right now im leaning towards the BDS because it has a good warranty and appears to be quality. Thanks guys
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM

I'd say BDS also
Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM
The Punisher

thats what i figured because 1800 for an 8" kit from full throttle just seems like there must be missing parts or something. Too cheap for quality imo
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Id agree with BDS as well. RIZE is also great but good luck getting your hands on one. It will also cost you.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

The overall best 8" lift kit is probably Rize, but the price is more then what you want, and they are hard to find for the right price. The Full Throttle lift kit apparently doesn't fit 37" tires, so if that is your purpose then don't go with them, or at least their 8" lift kit (they have larger lift kits). BDS, I am told, has a nice 8" lift kit, and warranty, but you can only fit 37" tires with a rim that has a positive off-set. Unlike Rize. I also talked with BDS, and was told by them that their lift kit only gains 2"s from a spacer on top of the strut. Which means it's exactly like having a 6" lift kit, and a 2" leveling kit. If your planning on having a positive off-set rim, and want a lift kit that is 8"s then I would go with BDS. However, if you have the money, and want a true 8"s of suspension, with a potential negative off-set then I would go with Rize.

Last edited by Nice Sweater; 05-01-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Not meaning to thread-jack, although this is semi-related to the topic. Hey 06F150,

Originally Posted by thatIRISHtruck
Hahaha. Yeah, it's kind of a bummer that my favorite off-road shop isn't a dealer, and that the only BDS dealer is in a not so great area, but I am definitely going with that lift kit. However, I have to call BDS to ask them a list of questions about this 8" lift kit. After that then I will call the shop that sells BDS kits, and configure a price. The guy there was nice, and making me a deal on the install at somewhere above $3,000, but I don't know if I trust them... I also don't want to tell this guy that I already have a shop. Anyways, BDS is looking like a pretty good prospect, and hopefully I can get something rolling this Fall.
^(Quote from other thread)

I called BDS today, and now feel like I'm back at square one. I asked them a handful of questions, and got all of them answered. However, I found out some bad news, for me at least. BDS did tell me that the 8" lift kit they put out does fit 37" tires. Although, the lift kit will only clear 37" tires with a wheel that has a positive off-set (example, +12mm). This is where my heart sunk, because I am wanting a negative off-set (example, -12mm), and don't like the looks of tires close into the wheel well. I currently have this exact negative off-set on my wheels, with a 6" lift kit, and like it. Anyways, he told me the backspacing I would need is 5-1/2" (five and a half inches), which I guess is turned into off-set, or something. The next bummer, is that the BDS person told me that I am only acheiveing a total of 8"s of lift from a strut spacer. This is a major problem, becuase this means I technically have the same lift kit already on my truck (6" lift kit, with a 2" leveling kit). Even if I were to change out the front of my suspension to the BDS 8" kit, it would be practically the same, and I still wouldn't be able to clear 37's. Now, all I am thinking about is either looking back into the Rize, going with the FTS 10" lift kit, or my original plan; get replacement coil-overs, and crank 2"s out of them. The only issue with that is, once the coil-overs are exchanged for my strut spacer (replaced) then I will lose 2"s, and crank back the two inches lost, which will put me only at 8"s again. With only 2"s from coil-overs I was told that with the geometry in the wheel well I wouldn't be able to clear 37's with out trimming (cutting into wheel well). Advice...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 82 Likes on 81 Posts

Some how I understood what all that said ha
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by nickpatton_189
Some how I understood what all that said ha
Hahaha! Did you want to revise my essay, for me.

PS: I tend to write a large paragraph, which tends to get twisted up, when ever I am in need of help, or upset.

PS:PS: Advice?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by thatIRISHtruck

Hahaha! Did you want to revise my essay, for me.

PS: I tend to write a large paragraph, which tends to get twisted up, when ever I am in need of help, or upset.

PS:PS: Advice?
Yeah thats BS...the 8" kit comes with a replacement 8" strut. Its true it may be like having a 2" spacer if all the bracketry is only 6" but i am not sure. I am not fully knowledged on the 8" as I only wanted a 6" kit so i didnt find out a ton about the 8". I do just remember asking about the difference between the 6 and 8 and my guy said the strut was def different. That is the only part i remember. I gotta find the guy who put a 8" BDS on his truck...it might be on the f150online. black scab with 37's. He'd be good to talk to about this.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
The Punisher

Id like to talk to that guy too lol. Because it just seems everyone is running 6 inches and 35s anymore but i still want my truck to be unique. That and bigger tires work much better in mud from my experience.

Quick Reply: Best 8" lift kit