Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Drain

I've been searching the internet on the battery drain issues. I had to start disconnecting my battery if my truck was going to sit more than a couple days. I finally got to checking the amp draw on the battery, the truck is drawing .52 amps when its sitting. I've pulled fuses and found my radio was drawing .2 amps, my 4x4 pcm is drawing .1 amps and my cluster is drawing .17. when I pull the fuses for these 3 I'm down to .05, which from what I've been reading is where I should be.

Has anyone had the issue with the 4x4 pcm and the cluster, just wondering if someone solved the problem, maybe a starting point.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:46 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default You don't say what truck you have or options

I will measure my 05 at some point . But off hand I would say a half amp idle draw is way too much . I would guess anti theft should be drawing something . I have had trouble with my 6 cd player knocking my battery out when I was working in yard listening to audio books . I don't dare do that anymore .
Have you looked at truck at night to see if any lights are sticking on ?
But to be fair my 05 is a battery eater . Once the battery takes a hit it doesn't recover well . Every 4 years or less I've lost my battery . The florida heat kills it and it shows up as soon as it gets cool .
No amount of charging is going to bring back an old battery . Lead acid does not recover from a complete discharge .
I'm sure a newer 2014 has different stuff than a 05 . That's just an example .
A half amp draw over 12 hours at night would be 6 amp hours . Not exactly a terrible drain overnight for a 400 amp hour battery but I will see .
meanwhile have autozone do a load test on battery . Then check battery volts when running should be around 14 volts .
How is your serpentine belt and tensioner pressure . see if she gives a good tension with a 3/8 socket wrench . They do go bad as well as the other pulleys . The ac unit can start to act up and belt to slip so test your volts with ac running .

Quick Reply: Battery Drain