Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad radio station reception! Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad radio station reception! Any ideas?

I have a new-to-me '04 FX4 SCREW. When I bought it, it had the factory radio in it with the 6-disc changer. The discs were stuck in it and it wouldn't eject or play them. Also, the radio reception was terrible. It wouldn't pick-up even the strongest area radion stations.

I took it out, replaced it with a brand new Sony, and I still can't pick up radio stations. When I use the seek button, it goes through the entire FM dial and almost never stops on a station. There are tons of strong stations in my area, but my reception of them is terrible.

Is my antenna cable bad? Is it my antenna? Any thoughts?

Thanks a million guys. I miss my radio stations.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

make sure the antenna cable is all the way into your radio. its a tight fit and needs to be all the way in.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The radio antenna (on back of radio) connects to another antenna cable right behind the glove box. Open the glove box, then press down on the sides and pull down to get the glove box to open straight down. You should now see the antenna cable that plugs into the cable to the outside antenna mast. Make sure this connection is snug.

If that connection is good, then I suspect the cable to antenna mast is bad. The plastic "base" at the antenna pops off (be careful not to scratch the paint). Then there is one screw that holds the base to the fender. Remove it to see if the coax broke off at this base. Fo about $40.00, you can buy a new one from Ford, but it is a PITA to "fish" the antenna into the fender, then into the passenger firewall. I had to do this because the antenna mast broke from this base. I had to remove several inner fender well screws to pull back on the plastic fender well to fish the new coax into the passender side, then connect to the coax that runs to the radio.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rednek - Yeah, I was definitely gonna check that when I get off work. I can't reach it without taking the radio back out. Thanks.

bucko - That's some solid info right there. I appreciate it. I checked the connection and I think it was good. I know it is now since I re-plugged it. I'll test it this afternoon when I get on the road after work.

Quick Reply: Bad radio station reception! Any ideas?