Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Default alignment issues

A few weeks ago I took the truck in for an alignment. When i got it back, almost immediately I noticed that when square up the wheel I began to drift to the left. I bring it back and the guy tells me they'll take care of it. I get it again, but now when I square up the steering wheel, I start drifting to the right.

So I call up to the shop and explain what's happening and how I've already been to them twice and nothing has helped. Now they're trying to say its the tires. I just bought all four these brand new from the same shop back in November. They've only got about 7k on them. I always check the pressure, rotate with an oil change, and drive relatively easy so i would think they're in pretty good shape. The reason I'm concerned is because they're probably going to try and charge me for this next service. I'm just wondering if this really is a tire problem or if im just getting bad alignments. Or if maybe there is something else going on. Honestly, they did not seem all that sure. I'm guessing their content with trying anything so long as I keep paying.

Last edited by JoePal; 05-15-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I wouldn't think it could be the tires. Perhaps you could take the store manager on a test drive with you so he could see exactly what's going on and then you could get him on your side and help get it fixed right.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

is it a mom and pop shop? my guess is whoevers doing it doesnt know how.

tell the shop manager you are bringing it to a dealership to do it and have the shop pay for it.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Its Tires Plus. I don't know if they are a national chain, but I know they have several locations in Florida.

I think I'll start with bringing the manager on a test drive, if they try and charge me again I may just go elsewhere for another alignment. Do you really think they'll cover the cost though?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePal
Its Tires Plus. I don't know if they are a national chain, but I know they have several locations in Florida.

I think I'll start with bringing the manager on a test drive, if they try and charge me again I may just go elsewhere for another alignment. Do you really think they'll cover the cost though?
whoa wait a min. am i reading this right. you have paid more than once already? if you paid for a alignment and you get the truck back and its not right. they fix it again for free. not pay for another alignment. if you did you just got hosed my friend.

tell them they either fix it this time (free) or they are going to pay a dealership to fix it. dont take no, or we cant do that, or any other crap they try to tell you for a answer. make sure you do this in the front of the shop where there are other customers also. or you could just threaten to report them to corporate (tires plus is a chain) for bad work / cheating the customer / and whatever else. make sure you have all your reciepts.

do they have the laser align in their shop? gets these big paddles mounted on the wheels and uses lasers to align.

FYI most chain / mom and pop "fix you car for ya cheap" places have shadetree mechanics. dealerships (are supposed to) have college grad mechanics with continuing brand specific training. you may save a few bucks, but in my opinion always go to a (reputable) dealership.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 PM

I only paid for the original alignment. I brought it in the second time when it was still messed up and they worked on it for free. I havent found the time to bring it back yet. I guess I'll have to get tough with them when I do though. I just dont want them to try and say the problem isn't the alignment, but something else instead, and then try to charge me for that work.

I'm not sure of how they do alignments there, but I'll ask next time I talk to them.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

My truck has been to allignment shop 6 times.... 4 of those times were dealerships(never could get it perfect)....The next time i got it done i went to a shop i used to work at.. And they said they didnt have a problem and said it drove like new.. I was hesitant because it drove like *** when it was new... But It drove like a caddy... I just recently changed my tie rod ends.. And they alligned it again.. And its perfect..

The owner said most dealerships get the allignment into ford specs ... And there done... At his shop they get it near perfect.. But then again he is probably the highest on prices and labor.. But its quality work!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Just wanted to let you all know this was resolved. A third alignment did the trick and she's driving straight as an arrow now. It didn't cost me anything more than what I paid for the original alignment, but you better believe they tried.

I'm not too confident in these guys anymore. Might have to find a new shop.

Quick Reply: alignment issues