Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

anyone ever run a winter screen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default anyone ever run a winter screen?

Spend alot of time in the truck on slow back roads and it takes forever for the truck to get up to temp and am kinda sick of cold air out the vents and the ugly cardboard I have in there now. I painted it black, but it just looks like .

I know this is not a diesel pickup, and yes I have replaced the thermostat, but its just so freaking cold, it barely gets up to temp.

anyone ever run something like this?

Amazon.com: Fia Custom Fit Winter Front/Bug Screen - (Black): Automotive Amazon.com: Fia Custom Fit Winter Front/Bug Screen - (Black): Automotive
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same issue last winter here in Northern MN. With weeks of -20 and -30 the truck would never come to temp and throw warm air. I had K&N cold air intake on at the time and tried using the cardboard behind the grille as well. Made a difference but still wouldn't get above 150 or so. Took the CAI off and went back to stock and kept the cardboard in and she would stay warm. Not sure if you're running CAI but that might help to go back to stock if your sucking all that extra cold air in.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Oh lord, I thank each and every day I spend living in Florida!

That could do it, but what about a block heater? I used to own a 2000 Ford Ranger that spent most of its life in New England. It had a block heater with the electrical plug hanging by the front grill. For giggles, I plugged it in for about an hour. As soon as I started the truck, the engine temps showed instant half way on the temp guage, and I assumed the heater would have blown hot because of it.

My son now owns that truck, and texed me one day asking "what's the extension cord for by the front grill"? When I told him it was a block heater, he had no clue, so I told him to Google it. He never heard of such a thing!

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 02-24-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It was -13 about a week ago and I did not use my block heater. 45 minutes to work and the warmest air I was able to get into the cab was 67 degrees. This morning I had the block heater rocking and I had hot heat all the way to work. The temp? -15. Bucko is right, it helps! I have the GOTTS mod and am not covering the radiator.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had one on my 97 chev truck. It worked well, just remember to open the flaps when it gets warmer. Also, it came with a screen that snapped on in the summer to keeps bugs out of the radiator.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I returned to my stock intake after having the GOTTS mod so I do not think that is the problem. I do have a block heater, however, the truck is garaged and even on the coldest times only gets down to about 20*.

I have the problem when I am out on back roads and idling the truck for long periods of time. I have no problem when I am at speed, its only when traveling slow for long periods of time or at idle. I think I am going to get one.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a 89 F150 that I had plastic block offs that snap into the grill for the cold weather. The truck would come up to temp in mins after driving on the highway.

I think Lund or vent visor made them. If there was a warm spell and the engine temps were above normal I would just pop out a section or 2
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My 98 dodge ram need to blocked off but I put the cardboard between the ac condenser and the radiator so you could not see it.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

How many miles on your truck. I had an 05 with a simlar problem. Ended up being the veins on the waterpump had corroded completely away. I had 250,000 on the orriginal water pump. I put in a new pump, and the heater would run me out.

Quick Reply: anyone ever run a winter screen?