Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any Opinions on the 04-09 5.4 Tritons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Opinions on the 04-09 5.4 Tritons?

Hi all, I may be getting a 2005 5.4L Triton F150 Supercab this week. I'm pretty familiar with the 4.6s as I've owned a couple but I don't know much about the 5.4Ls. Are they good motors or should I stick with a 4.6? Anywho, the truck is in good shape and has been taken well care of and has about 117k miles. It is 4x4, however I am skeptical because it is a salvage title but I know the guy who did the repairs and he said it was just cosmetic damage. I could get it for $8,000. I mainly want to know if that is a good deal or not based on the motor it has. How much life can I expect to get out of a 5.4 and do they have any common issues? I take great care of all my cars so it won't be neglected or anything. Any advice is welcome, Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Some common issues are the spark plugs break in the heads when trying to extract them. Also the cam phasers make a loud sound (which sounds like a Diesel engine). You can install a set of livernois lockout to prevent this or just change out the chains, guides, and tensioners. A lot of members here have not replaced any parts and their trucks still run great.

As long as you keep up on regular maintenance you should see at least 200,000 miles from her.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

id stay away from a salvage title.....you dont know what REALLY happened to the truck. who knows if it was a front end impact, or rear, or whatever. ive appraised salvage vehicles that were missing air bags, but the light on the cluster was pulled so it wouldnt flash a code. ive also seen resistors installed on the air bag wiring to trick the system into thinking the air bag was there...that was on a bmw.

my friend had a salvage car and after he bought it, he had to replace the engine. it was damaged in the accident but ran fine when he test drove it.

generally in the car business, a salvage title automatically halves the value of the vehicle. just wanted to throw that out there for you. 8k seems a little high for a salvage title...i think you should only pay about 5k tops for that if its in immaculate condition.

Quick Reply: Any Opinions on the 04-09 5.4 Tritons?