Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Another timing chain question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another timing chain question.

My truck on cold start up the first 2 to 3 min under throttle getting up to hwy speed ect it will make the most awful noise from driver side engine area the more i put my foot in hit the louder it gets then all of a sudden it will go away and won't return until the next cold start up what is the noise? My ford dealer said I need a full timing overhaul new chains tensioners guides, vct, phasers all
That bull ****. He said parts labor 3k that's ****ing crazy sorry about my language but I'm kinda pissed. He also went on and told me to just sell it or trade it in he made tether remark the 5.4 3v is the biggest piece of **** to roll off fords line in the truck. Ect. My truck does have miles on it 172 k but still it runs good no crazy noises once warmed up, it does have that powerstroke idle sound but every 5.4 3v sounds that way.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess either the chain is loose from a failed tensioner or one of the plastic guides has broken. Either would allow the chain to slap the inside of the cover and will wear it down. I just saw the same thing on a 2005 with 100k miles. Broken guide, worn out tensioners both. The inside of the front cover was shiny in the spots it had been worn away. All those pieces of metal can't be good floating through the oil.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Another timing chain question.

Originally Posted by notastockdohc
My truck on cold start up the first 2 to 3 min under throttle getting up to hwy speed ect it will make the most awful noise from driver side engine area the more i put my foot in hit the louder it gets then all of a sudden it will go away and won't return until the next cold start up what is the noise? My ford dealer said I need a full timing overhaul new chains tensioners guides, vct, phasers all
That bull ****. He said parts labor 3k that's ****ing crazy sorry about my language but I'm kinda pissed. He also went on and told me to just sell it or trade it in he made tether remark the 5.4 3v is the biggest piece of **** to roll off fords line in the truck. Ect. My truck does have miles on it 172 k but still it runs good no crazy noises once warmed up, it does have that powerstroke idle sound but every 5.4 3v sounds that way.
Could it be an exhaust leak? Those usually go away when the truck warms up but can be loud and obnoxious when the motor is still cold.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:00 PM

This is a metallic sound like staging a bike chain over the edge of a metal chair. Lol. Can a average joe mechanic tackle a timing system overhaul on one of these? I've messed with modular mustangs my whole life. 2v 3v and currently a 4v cobra
Old 09-15-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

A lot of guys have tackled it. There are some good youtube videos as well as a thread in this forum that covers it. Here's the link.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/
Old 09-15-2015, 09:42 PM

I guess it will be coming apart soon. Okay my above symptoms I said only cold start first two min, well today this afternoon I put a big trailer behind my truck s tandum axle I had it loaded down with scrap metal the whole time I had the trailer behind me I could hear the noise in the engine. Why would pulling a trailer make the noise come on all the time as soon as I un-hooked it the noise went away? Lol wtf?
Old 09-15-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes, you can do this. It will cost you less than a third of the dealerships price to do it yourself. The thread Rick posted is great. Read as much as you can, if not all of it. Stick with Motorcraft parts. There are kits on ebay and Amazon that have almost everything you need. Just remember to also replace the VCT solenoids, and drop the oil pan. All that is in the thread though.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:24 AM

So what about the pulling the trailer making more noise? What's that about.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by notastockdohc
So what about the pulling the trailer making more noise? What's that about.
Adding more load to the engine making the truck do more work. Definitely something going on in the timing.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM

Think im just going to drive till she grenades lol. Then buy a Chevy with a lsx motor lol jk

Quick Reply: Another timing chain question.