Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Another Grill Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Grill Question

Hey all, I've been lurking around here for a couple of months with a question:

I have an 06 STX and I would like to swap the grill insert for an XLT style. Anyone know about how much a new one from Ford costs? I've been searching various classifieds online but haven't found a used one yet. Any thoughts?

Chris
Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

I dont know from experience but i would imagine that if you went directly through ford it would be pricey. Have you looked at ebay or do you want to make sure that is the right thing and that it is new... if thats the case i would just go to your dealer.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
I dont know from experience but i would imagine that if you went directly through ford it would be pricey. Have you looked at ebay or do you want to make sure that is the right thing and that it is new... if thats the case i would just go to your dealer.
yep, it would be cheeper to go aftermarket
Old 12-30-2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the input guys....I sorta want to stuck with the stock look for now, but I don't really need a brand new one, either. I'll try Ebay later and maybe check out some auto recycling yards.....and what the hell, I might just price it at the dealership....but yeah, I'll bet they want way too much for one....molded plastic...probably cost about 3 dollars to manufacture.

Chris
Old 12-30-2006, 11:06 PM

With some further research on Ebay and Carparts.com, it appears that you can buy brand new ones for around $40, but they come with the trim ring installed and unpainted. I did find that they had the chrome-ringed versions...(not sure what model truck, Lariats?) for about the same price. LovetheRide they had the FX4 style too, but they apparently only come with the trim ring and unpainted.

I'm still searching. I don't really want the chrome trimmed version. I guess the next important question is how easy is it to separate the grille insert from the trim ring? I'll do some more looking tomorrow at the truck, maybe I can pop it out. Anyone else have any advice?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach825
LovetheRide they had the FX4 style too
What did he just say

Be careful buying aftermarket oem style grills on ebay. I would look for a oem grill if your wanting oem style. It will obviously it will not be the cheaper option but it will outlast the generic grill. Check with these guys http://www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com/ Speak with Ed
The insert comes out pretty easy you need two small screwdrivers and some heat to get the tabs apart easier.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:34 AM

Whitechrystal1, thanks for that information....I do want OEM quality, I assumed the grilles that I was looking at were, but thanks for the links, I'll check that out as well.

Chris
Old 12-31-2006, 02:07 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check the local junkyards
Old 10-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Separating the grill from the trim is not that hard. You just have to be careful because if your not you will do what I did and that is break the trim. I just installed a roush grill and love it but now I'm looking to find a new trim piece. Ford only sells the whole thing together for 300. Anyone know where to get just the trim
Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM

Wow, this thread came back from the dead almost 2 years later....

Well, I did find an XLT grill on Ebay with a red trim ring for about $50. I was able to easily swap the grill centers (my truck is Grey) and turned around and sold my STX/FX4 grill for $30 so it worked out pretty well. Nikko1 you're right, it's no big deal to change the grill inserts. Some long, thin screwdrivers helped a lot.

I thought I had come back here and updated this thread, but I guess not. Better late than never, I guess.

Chris

Quick Reply: Another Grill Question