Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Add ons for safer towing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 10:44 PM

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Add ons for safer towing.

Ok so I have an 8000lb(dry weight) travel trailer that I'll be transporting 300kms soon to it's new pad site home and then every now and then I'll be transporting it on small 100-200km trips on low traffic island roads to explore the area/camping sites and I'm trying to do install everything I can to make towing the trailer as safe as possible.

As it sits my 04 FX4 scab(145 WB/3.73 Gears) with 18'' wheels is rated to 8700lbs and if I switch to 17'' wheels max towing goes up to 9300lbs, but I'll be sticking with the 18's.

So I'll be installing(replacing) a new Air ride suspension bag system rated to 5000lbs and will set up each bag with it's own air line, will be installing a Hellwig rear sway bar(#7663) AND I'll be upgrading the stock receiver hitch with a Curt class IV hitch rated to 10,000lb towing capacity and 1000lb tongue weight. I also have a brand new weight distribution hitch I'll be using as well just to have that added safety. Truck also has brand new Bilstien rear shocks and the rest of the suspension is in great shape just fyi.

Now TT is roughly 31', 8000lbs dry and I'll be removing some of the stock furniture like heavy fold out couch, heavy wood bed ect and replacing with MUCH lighter items or just removing period to delete as much weight as possible so I figure I can get dry weight down to 7500lbs(no fluids or LPG tanks).

Rear GAWR is 3850lbs, front GAWR is 3900lbs and I'll be keeping trailer weight between 8000-8500lbs when towing and total cargo weight in truck and box will not exceed 500lbs ever. Travel speed will never exceed 100kph btw and truck has aftermarket trailer brake controller.

So with all the info at hand I'm just curious to hear from others here who have heavy towing experience If I've covered most everything and if there's anything that I have not please speak up.

Here's my truck and trailer and yes TT is a big girl, but it's an aluminum frame/fibreglass construction.

Thank you

Old 02-10-2023, 11:10 PM

Received 3,146 Likes on 1,723 Posts

You keep saying 8000 lbs dry, but what’s the fully loaded weight you’ll be towing? And I thought you’d just be towing this to one spot, leaving it and not towing again? That is a lot of weight for your truck and you’re going to be asking a lot out of it.

What’s the wet tongue weight?

Adding heavier airbags isn’t always a good thing. You end up putting a lot of pressure on a spot on the frame in the middle of the leaf springs, that is thinner and not made to handle the weight the leaf spring mourning points are.

A heavier duty hitch also doesn’t mean you can tow more. You still have the same
frame, suspension and brakes.

Thats a big trailer and really super duty territory if you’re not just moving it once.

Last edited by 2008__XL; 02-10-2023 at 11:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wpg_f150 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
You keep saying 8000 lbs dry, but what’s the fully loaded weight you’ll be towing? And I thought you’d just be towing this to one spot, leaving it and not towing again? That is a lot of weight for your truck and you’re going to be asking a lot out of it. What’s the wet tongue weight?
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Yeah on the initial 200ish km move to site the TT will be bone dry, no liquid, no LPG tanks, no couch and no cargo or anything in truck so TT should weigh around 7500lbs. Site is on a small island with low population and good roads and in summer months I plan to do small 50-100km trips to do some camping and plan is to tow the TT completely dry and just go back n forth with supplies to reduce TT weight when transporting. ​​​​​​​So TT will always be around 7500lbs when towing.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:33 PM

Received 1,169 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by wpg_f150
Ok so I have an 8000lb(dry weight) travel trailer that I'll be transporting 300kms soon to it's new pad site home and then every now and then I'll be transporting it on small 100-200km trips on low traffic island roads to explore the area/camping sites and I'm trying to do install everything I can to make towing the trailer as safe as possible.

As it sits my 04 FX4 scab(145 WB/3.73 Gears) with 18'' wheels is rated to 8700lbs and if I switch to 17'' wheels max towing goes up to 9300lbs, but I'll be sticking with the 18's.

So I'll be installing(replacing) a new Air ride suspension bag system rated to 5000lbs and will set up each bag with it's own air line, will be installing a Hellwig rear sway bar(#7663) AND I'll be upgrading the stock receiver hitch with a Curt class IV hitch rated to 10,000lb towing capacity and 1000lb tongue weight. I also have a brand new weight distribution hitch I'll be using as well just to have that added safety. Truck also has brand new Bilstien rear shocks and the rest of the suspension is in great shape just fyi.

Now TT is roughly 31', 8000lbs dry and I'll be removing some of the stock furniture like heavy fold out couch, heavy wood bed ect and replacing with MUCH lighter items or just removing period to delete as much weight as possible so I figure I can get dry weight down to 7500lbs(no fluids or LPG tanks).

Rear GAWR is 3850lbs, front GAWR is 3900lbs and I'll be keeping trailer weight between 8000-8500lbs when towing and total cargo weight in truck and box will not exceed 500lbs ever. Travel speed will never exceed 100kph btw and truck has aftermarket trailer brake controller.

So with all the info at hand I'm just curious to hear from others here who have heavy towing experience If I've covered most everything and if there's anything that I have not please speak up.

Here's my truck and trailer and yes TT is a big girl, but it's an aluminum frame/fibreglass construction.

Thank you

Sounds to me like you need to add 100 or 200 to your f150…..

To get to a f250 or f350
Old 02-11-2023, 03:08 AM

Yeah I dunno. My 03 ram 1500 4.7 regular cab rwd has no problem towing my other 6400lb 26' TT so I would think my FX4 could handle 7500lb over relatively short distances especially with the use of all the add ons, but will have to see I guess. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to talk myself into this, but I've seen quite a few videos and posts of guys towing 9000-10,000lbs on the regular with their stock 05-06 f150's for work or whatever and it's not like I'm going cross country or through the mountains or anything, but yeah safety first. Perhaps I'll just rent a 3/4 ton truck to move TT to site then while in my remote/rural area I can hook up the FX4 and see how she handles on the less traffic roads. Btw also have the CTS3 EVO to keep an eye on engine/trans temp and can drop in a tow tune

Last edited by wpg_f150; 02-11-2023 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
You keep saying 8000 lbs dry, but what’s the fully loaded weight you’ll be towing? And I thought you’d just be towing this to one spot, leaving it and not towing again? That is a lot of weight for your truck and you’re going to be asking a lot out of it. What’s the wet tongue weight? Adding heavier airbags isn’t always a good thing. You end up putting a lot of pressure on a spot on the frame in the middle of the leaf springs, that is thinner and not made to handle the weight the leaf spring mourning points are. A heavier duty hitch also doesn’t mean you can tow more. You still have the sameframe, suspension and brakes. Thats a big trailer and really super duty territory if you’re not just moving it once.
​​​​​​​Yeah the add ons I'm mentioning aren't so I can go nuts, but mostly just to make the initial 200km trip to pad site as safe as I possibly can, but renting a larger truck isn't an issue either so probably the best choice.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:04 AM

Received 3,146 Likes on 1,723 Posts

If it were me, and I had to use a half ton to tow that trailer, I’d first make sure everything is in good working order with the cooling system and transmission. I take it you have the aux tranny cooler and all the towing add ons from that year? No heavy rust on the hitch, I’d probably go with RAS over airbags, Bilstein shocks in the rear, a good TBC and a REALLY GOOD WDH. Like the propride, blue ox or equalizer. Not one of the cheaper Reese WDH setups. I’d then get that hitch dialed in really well. It takes time to get it perfect, especially with a load like that for a half ton.

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2023, 11:22 AM

Received 1,169 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by wpg_f150
Yeah the add ons I'm mentioning aren't so I can go nuts, but mostly just to make the initial 200km trip to pad site as safe as I possibly can, but renting a larger truck isn't an issue either so probably the best choice.
sounds like a wise decision.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:05 PM

Yeah I'll just rent a 1 ton to move TT to site and along the way I'll stop at a CAT scale to check the dry weight of the unit then I can hook up the FX4 at some point and see how she handles and add to the truck from there maybe lol.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:15 AM

Sooooo got me a 2006 F-350 today with 6.0 turbo diesel, body will need some tlc, but it's mechanically sound. Has reman engine swapped in 2020 and turbos are newer as well plus lots of newer parts and all work was done at Ford dealership with paperwork. Took it out for over an hour and everything worked great, no leaks, very clean interior and sounded awesome and scanner software registered everything in the green so I brought it home. Only paid 5k and another 5-6k to make it pretty again I'm guessing so all in all I'm really happy

Last edited by wpg_f150; 02-17-2023 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Add ons for safer towing.