Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ABS light and C1237 Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ABS light and C1237 Code

Hey Everyone,

I just bought my first truck, a 2006 F150 Lariat Screw 5.4 V8, after reading the forum and doing a lot of research. I just made my account and this is my first post. This is also my first chance to say THANK YOU to everyone who contributes and makes this site awesome.

Ok, so my truck has some issues that I've been working on. One of them is an ABS light on in the dash and a C1237 code. The code comes up as "Speed Wheel Rear Input Signal Missing." I searched the forum and other sites, and I couldn't find a good answer on anything that has worked to clear the code. Most people have cleaned and replaced the part but it didn't work. I have not tried these but I'm going to clean it tomorrow and will report back.

Does anyone have any insight into what could alleviate this problem? Previous owner said that the light has been on since the custom tires were installed. Also, the cruise control does not work and from what I have read, these might be related. This is the only OBD-II code on the truck, so please let me know your ideas and opinions!

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Try cleaning it first. It may be damaged from when the wheels/tires were replaced, and require replacement.

As to cruise not working, were LED's installed in the brake lights? Very early LED taillights did not have the required load resisters needed for the brake light circuits. These load resisters serve two purposes, one to allow the cruise to work, and second, to solve the "fast blinking" of the turn signals (both functions use the same light). An LED turn signal flasher can also solve the fast flashing issue, but it does not solve the cruise issue.
Late model trucks such as yours detect a voltage change in the brake circuit to disable the cruise. For example, if you apply the brakes when the cruise is on, the cruise is disabled. When LED bulbs are used, they have a low voltage draw which effectively fool the cruise circuit into thinking the brake lights are on, so the cruise never works.

Fix the first issue to see if that indeed is related to your non functioning cruise before worrying about LED's in the brake lights.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 06-02-2016 at 04:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tcruz0004 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM

Thank you Bucko for such a quick and detailed response!

I'm not positive about the brake lights but I don't think they are LEDs. I'll be working on it tomorrow so hopefully I'll have some good news to report back. I'll try to get some pictures too. I checked it out yesterday and it looked pretty old/dirty so I'm thinking it may be time to replace it.

I'll keep you posted!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:37 PM

So I removed my rear ABS sensor today and found something unsettling.. It had been rigged up some sort of way. Here's a couple pictures:

I realized there was no harness, so I traced it back and it led to a much larger wire bundle.. I don't have any desire to do to much electrical work and was worried I'd have to go to the dealership, but a quick ride to Oreillys made me feel a lot better. They had the harness:

Does anyone know which lead goes to which or how I should be able to tell..? They are both green. I appreciate any help, considering I don't want to mess up the lead. I was planning on cutting the ends closest to the sensor, and then using a couple butt connectors covered in electrical tape to connect the new harness. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Peel some of the wire loom back... I believe one of those wires is supposed to have a red stripe and the other a black stripe.

With the sensor installed, the red stripe wire should be "on top" or above the black stripe wire.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:48 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

^^^^Hopefully that is correct, but by chance if it isnt, wire it up using quick disconnects so that changing the wires top to bottom will be easier. Seems like the wires are wrong now, so if you do wire it wrong the first time, not a big deal, just swap them.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM

NRIVERA04 - you are correct in that one wire has a black stripe and the other has a red stripe, but the problem is that they are situated side by side. I found the root of the problem. The wrong ABS sensor was installed. I'm ordering my new one online tonight, but I'm going to go connect the leads to the harness now. I'll have to wait till the sensor arrives to explain which is which, but I'll probably have to do what Summers22 recommended.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

The red wire goes towards the passenger side then. My sensor sits with the wires on top of one another.
The following users liked this post:
tcruz0004 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:29 PM

You're the man!! Thanks for your help with everything! I already cleaned the sensor, and connected the harness to the leads, and tried to see if it would go out but it didn't. (I really didn't expect it to, considering its the wrong part.)

I'll get my harness properly set up and then update everyone once the new sensor comes in.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 PM

Glad to report back with great news - I replaced the ABS sensor and harness that I got from a junkyard and the ABS light is out! Even more pleased to state that I also got a jack set and only paid $25. If anyone is wondering the sensor is about $50 and the harness is about $45 for good prices.

I still have a problem though: the cruise control still does not work! I think Bucko may be on to something because I do have strobe lights installed in the headlights and taillights.. Does anyone have a place for me to start troubleshooting to try and solve this issue?

Quick Reply: ABS light and C1237 Code