Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

?? about plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?? about plugs

i searched previous threads about the plugs but i couldnt find anything that i was looking for. I have a friends thats a mechanic at the ford stealership and he had told me that he doesnt use any lubricant for pulling the plugs he just soaks the hell out of them with carb cleaner after there about a half turn out??? anyone ever heard of using that to break up the carbon and which should i do? im going to do the plugs tuesday so help please!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You're tech buddy is following the TSB correctly. The guys using PB Blaster and the like are using it as a substitute.

I'd buy your friend a 12 pack and ask him to help you out.

Here's the TSB with Ford's recommended procedure:
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/08-07-06.pdf
Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sjoholm
i searched previous threads about the plugs but i couldnt find anything that i was looking for. I have a friends thats a mechanic at the ford stealership and he had told me that he doesnt use any lubricant for pulling the plugs he just soaks the hell out of them with carb cleaner after there about a half turn out??? anyone ever heard of using that to break up the carbon and which should i do? im going to do the plugs tuesday so help please!!!!
Carb cleaner also works.I used PB blaster on my truck for the plugs,and the other 6fords i have done around here and all came out fine most of the time.Only 2 of the 6 fords i did this for,a total of 3 just broke off,but i also have the complete rotunda extractor set from snap on so that does help.you can now rent these tools for various tool stores and is a good thing to have on hand if one or more were to break.Good luck and let us now how it went.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the tips guys. Yeah i bought a tool from matco for the plugs just in case but i hope to god that i dont have to use it!!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
06 F150 supercrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the tool will help, if you have that your good to go. A trick to keep in mind, getting to the passenger back plug is a PITA, I found if you take the computer and bracket off of the firewall it opens that back plug up and makes it much easier to get to. I broke 4 plus off in mine total. I used a fuel injector cleaner for 3 tanks of gas before doing them, Also used sea foam throught he brake booster hose, and soaked all the plugs in PB blaster. Still broke 4, but with the tool I was able to get them out and down the road I went.

I agree with the above post, buy your buddy a 12 pack and ask him to help ya out

Quick Reply: ?? about plugs