Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 setting timing from scratch.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.4 setting timing from scratch.

Pulled (towed) an 06 f150 with the 5.4 into the garage. The phasers were evidently going out.

Now I have an 06 f150 and I replaced the phasers without much issue, thanks to the good people of this board. Nevertheless, I thought no problem. While not much fun I had a pretty good idea on putting it back together.

They had the key on the crank at the 12 o'clock position and when I placed the new phasers on, they were upside down to where the marks should have been. For instance, on the left side the "R" was sitting at about 11 o'clock. Same situation on the other side just reversed.

The timing gear sprocket when placed on crank puts the dot at about 7 o'clock.

When I attempt to put the chains on, there is a snow ball's chance in heck of the links aligning where they should go.

For fun, I pulled the spark plug on the #1 cylinder and found that it is not at tdc. For it to be at tdc I would have to back it up a little less then 1/4 turn.

I am assuming that when they tore this thing apart, while removing the phasers they also rotated the cam. Which I'm guessing is why the phasers are not sitting correctly.

All that being said,, I have all these new shiny parts waiting to be put on. But I am very uncertain on how to time this thing correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 PM

Wasn't sure if these would help, but this is what I am looking at. Timing sprocket shown when moved back to put #1 cylinder to tdc, otherwise the key was sitting at the 12 o'clock position.

5.4 setting timing from scratch.-20140308_193259.jpg

5.4 setting timing from scratch.-20140308_193245.jpg
Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 534 Likes on 438 Posts

The phasers are keyed, the crank sprockets are keyed, and there are timing marks on all 3 components including the chains. The phasers are also marked left and right. Line all the marks up and your timed right..
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
jm19 (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 PM

I appreciate your info. In the diagram it shows the placement of the crank with the key at 12 o'clock which takes the #1 off tdc.

Additionally I will have to rotate the cams to put the marks in proper placement for the chains to line up where they should go.

So,, crank set at #1 tdc or set as diagram shows?

Either way I will have to rotate cam to place phaser mark in correct location, is that correct.

I hope this doesn't come across negatively, I just really don't want to put this thing all back together, and find that I made a mistake I could have avoided.

**update**

In my infinite wisdom,(very sarcastic) it has dawned on me that the #1 cylinder may be tdc of the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. I was informed that when the phasers were removed the cam had also spun, (cam was not locked in place). I was told the cam was spun back in place or where it was originally seated, but I can't be sure.

I can find tdc of the compression stroke, but I am unclear as to how to handle the cam. It would appear judging by the marks on the phaser that I am off 1/2 of a full revolution on the cam, which kinda makes sense because the lobes of the cam above the #1 cylinder are not setting where they should be for tdc compression. They as well are off 180 degrees.

Last edited by jm19; 03-09-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: had to update...
Old 03-09-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jm19
I appreciate your info. In the diagram it shows the placement of the crank with the key at 12 o'clock which takes the #1 off tdc.

Additionally I will have to rotate the cams to put the marks in proper placement for the chains to line up where they should go.

So,, crank set at #1 tdc or set as diagram shows?

Either way I will have to rotate cam to place phaser mark in correct location, is that correct.

I hope this doesn't come across negatively, I just really don't want to put this thing all back together, and find that I made a mistake I could have avoided.

**update**

In my infinite wisdom,(very sarcastic) it has dawned on me that the #1 cylinder may be tdc of the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. I was informed that when the phasers were removed the cam had also spun, (cam was not locked in place). I was told the cam was spun back in place or where it was originally seated, but I can't be sure.

I can find tdc of the compression stroke, but I am unclear as to how to handle the cam. It would appear judging by the marks on the phaser that I am off 1/2 of a full revolution on the cam, which kinda makes sense because the lobes of the cam above the #1 cylinder are not setting where they should be for tdc compression. They as well are off 180 degrees.
I'd really love to know step by step how you solve this issue. When I replaced all of my timing components for some reason I think one of the cam phasers slipped on me and I think I rotated the cam 360 degrees to realign it. Something tells me I did something wrong but I don't know. Kind of the situation you are in except you didn't possibly screw it up like I may have done. It starts up and runs perfect until the engine is warm and then at low rpm is goes to the diesel sound. I replaced the VCT solenoid on the drivers side for hopes of clearing code P0022. When I pulled it out the screens were missing from some of the ports on the valve. FML.
My next step is to take the timing cover off and check the timing again and changing out the passenger side VCT solenoid I guess.
With the #1 spark plug removed and the the crankshaft pulley at TDC, how do I check to tell if it is right? What am I measuring and at what distance would be correct?
I hope you are able to solve this and share your experience.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 AM

I will update with the cam placement issue, if and when I get that mess figured out.

As far as the tdc of the #1 they make a compression gauge that screws into the hole of the spark plug. When you are entering your compression stroke the dial will show the influx of air pressure, thus compression.

If it is on the exhaust stroke the gauge will not read anything.

When I find the compression stroke, I place a long screwdriver into the whole and continue to hand turn the crank watching for the point at which the screwdriver quits moving up and starts to move down. Usually have to play with the crank a little to find the sweet spot. (that was supposed to sound more g-rated then that, oh well it's late)

I'm sure there is a much more technical way then that but,,,,,,I don't know it.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Are you positive you have your left/right orientations correct? The driver's side should be the left and the passenger side is the right. The sensor tabs on your phasers seem opposite to the diagram Especial posted. I also zoomed in and it looks like an 'R' on the driver's side. Also, you don't need to be at exact TDC to perform the timing. I've read two different procedures on timing the 5.4, one with the crank key at 12 o'clock, the other with it at TDC. The preferred method, as I see, is the 'key up' method. Many people have used this method (including myself) with no problems. Double check your phaser alignment and I'll bet you'll find it lines up for you.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 AM

ebc, thanks for the reply. The phasers are sitting on there the same way they came off. I am wondering if they should have rotated the crank one more time to put the key at 12 o'clock prior to removing everything.

If after everything was removed; chains,guides,etc.. and the cam was spun during phaser removal shouldn't I be concerned about a dropped valve?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 534 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by jm19
ebc, thanks for the reply. The phasers are sitting on there the same way they came off. I am wondering if they should have rotated the crank one more time to put the key at 12 o'clock prior to removing everything. If after everything was removed; chains,guides,etc.. and the cam was spun during phaser removal shouldn't I be concerned about a dropped valve?

It does appear as though your phasers are on the wrong sides.. (But its hard to really tell in the pic)... Right is left and left is right when your FACING THE ENGINE FROM THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE.. The drivers side is always the LEFT side of the motor, and the passenger side is the RIGHT, When sitting in the drivers seat.. That how parts are labeled and yes, its kinda confusing sometimes...... So swap that phaser marked R to the Left side of the motor (battery side)..

Check this out: https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...e1394386869748
It should answer all your questions and concerns.
jm19 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

The phasers are identical. Both have left/right markings on them. So that means both cams are (approx.) 180° out to the crank for timing purposes. Removing and swapping them won't help.

Now this is only in theory as I don't want to be responsible for any damage or further damage, so here it goes... you should be able to throw the chains on as it sits, not worrying about timing, and SLOWLY rotate the crank 360° to get your cams 180° 'in' for timing. This would best be done with the spark plugs out so there's no compression resistance. Then you could 'feel' any interference issues as you rotate the assembly. The phasers rotate the cams +/- 50° when the engine is running so there should be no issues with the cams being off a little during this rotation cycle. Then you can remove the chains, line all of your marks up and re-time that pig.
jm19 (03-09-2014)

Quick Reply: 5.4 setting timing from scratch.