Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 "Lean Issues" With aftermarket CAI (K&N)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 "Lean Issues" With aftermarket CAI (K&N)

I Have a K&N 57 series Gen 2 CAI installed on my truck and otherwise "Bone-stock" I was a member of another forum and discussed possible issues with this, but the so-called pros were simply jerks and offered no CONCRETE advice. All the true evidence I have been able to find states that a 5.4 and it's MAF/CPU are able to compensate for the increased air-flow from SOME....NOT ALL CAI in take kits. I have talked on the phone with K&N R&D and tech services as well as 4 ASE certified techs and they all have told me not to worry about and that your truck will compensate with this mod alone. However, additional Freeflowing air mods like exhaust, headers, removing cats, etc could put your truck at risk without a custom tune and/or tuning device. I just want to know if I am actually hurting my truck with this bolt-on part. I have NO THROWN CODES AND NO CEL Any advice that is true to my set-up would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

About two weeks ago, there was a thread that marked the years ('04 to '08) that the 5.4 MAY have issues with a lean condition with certain mods. It will pop up with the search.

If you've been told by "K&N R&D and tech services as well as 4 ASE certified techs" that there are no issues, then I don't know what we could add to the subject. They certainly have more expertiece than most of us do.

I'd trust them and not worry anymore about it. Enjoy the truck, enjoy the forum, and welcome to the site!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 never had any lean issues with the K&N.

Having said that, you should get a better flowing exhaust and a programmer with custom tunes. I really like the SCT X3. Your truck will run better if you complete the package.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by SAWMAN556
My 07 never had any lean issues with the K&N.

Having said that, you should get a better flowing exhaust and a programmer with custom tunes. I really like the SCT X3. Your truck will run better if you complete the package.
I Plan on doing both, but cannnot afford to right at this time. I just want to make sure that I am not causing harm to my truck with just the one mod. Thanks for the advice on the Tuner
Old 06-20-2011, 05:09 PM

If you're really concerned, call and ask Troyer Performance what they think. I don't think there is a man on the planet that knows these trucks better than Mike Troyer. And when you have the money you might want to consider TP for your custom tunes. Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM

If you're really concerned, call and ask Troyer Performance what they think. I don't think there is a man on the planet that knows these trucks better than Mike Troyer. And when you have the money you might want to consider TP for your custom tunes. Just a thought.
Thanks! I will get info from TP. Still kind of looking for anyone out there who may be in the same boat "mod" wise and has some input good or bad.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 PM

What year is your truck?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:51 PM

What year is your truck?
04 FX4. 110k.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 PM

I never had a problem with my K&N on my 07 even before I had custom tunes. I think(but maybe wrong) that the 04-05's are more prone to running lean than the newer models. The folks at K&N know what they are doing so I would trust what they are telling you. Call Troyer. Run your truck the way you have it. Save up for your exhaust and tunes. Maybe you can sell something you don't need to help with the funds. If it really worries you why not just put the stock intake back on until you can complete the package?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I never had a problem with my K&N on my 07 even before I had custom tunes. I think(but maybe wrong) that the 04-05's are more prone to running lean than the newer models. The folks at K&N know what they are doing so I would trust what they are telling you. Call Troyer. Run your truck the way you have it. Save up for your exhaust and tunes. Maybe you can sell something you don't need to help with the funds. If it really worries you why not just put the stock intake back on until you can complete the package?
The 04s and 05s do run leaner. Get your computer reflashed and programmed. Did it to my 05 with 40k miles cause it was running lean with cai and exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 Forum

Quick Reply: 5.4 "Lean Issues" With aftermarket CAI (K&N)