Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 Engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.4 Engine replacement

So im looking at buying a 2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 4 door with a 5.4L The owner said last week it started suddenly leaking oil from the upper driver side of engine. He drove it home from about a mile away and by the time he got there it was tick/rattling. I looked at it today and saw it has a big hole on the timing chain cover right at the top/side of the timing gear (I can see a good 2 inches of the gear and chain) Engine starts right up and idles smooth. I only ran it for a minute and it was 30 degrees out but as it started to get warm it was starting to make some ticking noises. Only thing I can think of that would put a hole in the chain cover is something internally breaking off and riding the chain up until it hit the sprocket.

Anyone ever see this happen before on an engine that still runs? Debating on buying it but replacement engines arent cheap and Ive heard its not even possible to pull the engine out the top of it. I dont have a lift to pickup the cab off the frame. Is it possible to access the timing setup and main/rod bearings with the engine in the truck?

I have plenty of mechanical experience. Ive rebuilt a couple newer engines and done several swaps in the past few years. So i dont have any doubt that if it can be done, I can do it

Last edited by Ford15379; 12-17-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:34 PM

Also the owner told me he just spent almost $4000 a year ago having the timing chain done and some other things he couldnt think of. He isnt very mechanically inclined so I think he may have just gotten burned by someone engine compartment had a few broken connectors and the dip stick finger loop was busted off. But the guy wants $2500 for it and is negotiable so It seems like a pretty reasonable deal
Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well first things first! I have an 05 and I just had an engine put in it last week, when all was said and done it cost $1500 in parts and labor and $2889 for the remanfactured engine THEY DID NOT REMOVE THE CAB they pulled the engine out with a standard cherry picker.

I think you may not have to buy a new motor the damage you have even though severe, it may be contained just at the front of the engine. Honestly it sounds like one of the phasers had a catastrophic failure and in turn broke the timing cover or it may be possible that the hole has been caused by a broken chain guide that allowed the chain to slap and wear the cover thru, I would personally take the front of the motor apart first before going the new motor route. The timing set only runs about $500 including new phasers. I do not know how much a cover costs though sorry.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

^^^ What that guy said. If the hole is in the timing cover, then odds are the chain was loose and rubbed a hole in it. It was probably rubbing a hole in the cover before he had it "fixed." There are a few things the shop could have done to cause the chain to go slack again, allowing it to finish making the hole. This wouldn't be the first time that has happened either. If I were in your shoes, as long as the rest of the truck is ok, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Seal the hole anyway you can so you can test the motor (for rod knocking, compression and leakdown). If it's good, replace the timing cover, all timing components, and clean it up. If the motor is bad, put another one in. For $2500 though, that's not a bad price.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 PM

I forgot to say that the ticking and rattling could be the timing chain and phasers. Look up some YouTube videos and see if they are similar.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:57 AM

I have heard about the phazers. Although he didnt say it was ever making noise before he just said after he notice the oil leak he drove straight home and by the time he got there it was ticking pretty good. As far as the hole in the timing chain cover, im almost certain its from something being forced out from inside the cover. It doesnt have the look of a hole that was worn thru the plastic, its more of a jagged hole.

I almost was thinking it could have been from the person who did the engine work on it last time possibly breaking the cover if he had the engine out of it. Im not sure how much oil would really leak out of it being that high up? the whole driver side of the engine is soaked in oil so if it is all coming from that hole, it had to have just happened recently or the owner would have noticed the oil burning on the exhaust manifold
Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 AM

The phasers failing is common. So common, that if he had the chains replaced, and it cost that much, it's almost certain that's what was done. Your timing cover should be metal. It's thin aluminum.
You have my curiosity peaked though. If you buy it, post a picture!
Old 12-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the truck looks good and has a clear title its at least worth $10,000 fixed. I would say that is a really good deal!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 PM

Interesting point that the chain cover should be aluminum. Im sure it is plastic on this truck. It was the more tan or cream color plastic (probably looked white when it was new)

The truck is in decent shape. Theres no donts or bad scratches but there is a good amount of light scratches and the paint peel/rust under the gas cap. Interior is filthy from the guys muddy dog riding in it everyday but it looks like itd clean up really well. Id think its a solid $7000+ truck when fixed.

I just actually came across a 2008 F250 super duty 2wd today. Regular cab fleet truck on the side of the road for $5900. Runs and drive great and has a hydrolic lift gate on the back, I just figured id shoot the guy a low ball offer and he actually took it. Guy let me have it for $3500. So this other truck is going to have to wait a few days while I de-sticker and clean this one up.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 PM

Nice. I like the F250's (and 350's), but I just can't justify getting one.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Engine replacement