Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 Power steering

Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Power steering

My power steering feels like it is only working about 50% and is sluggish feeling. After I make a turn and let go of wheel it doesn"t come back to center. I have to turn it back. Fluid level is good. Dont see any leaks. Would this be a pump or rack problem?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Could be either (pump or rack). Has the fluid ever been replaced? You are supposed to flush the power steering fluid after a few years. Most folks don't realize that power steering fluid, just like brake fluid, obsorbs moisture and will distroy the seals inside a rack. Hopefully yours is not the case, but in any event, I'd have it checked out by a qualified mechanic and get it repaired. Steering is nothing to leave unrepaired.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Could be either (pump or rack). Has the fluid ever been replaced? You are supposed to flush the power steering fluid after a few years. Most folks don't realize that power steering fluid, just like brake fluid, obsorbs moisture and will distroy the seals inside a rack. Hopefully yours is not the case, but in any event, I'd have it checked out by a qualified mechanic and get it repaired. Steering is nothing to leave unrepaired.
Didn"t know fluid had to be replaced. Thanks I"ll have it checked out.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Here's a couple of links that may be helpful. One is to download an owners manual if you don't have one (free PDF), and the other is for a recommended Ford maintenance schedule based on your driving, type, and make of Ford.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...les/GetYMM.asp
Old 04-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Check the U Joints on the intemediate steering shaft. It's a cake to replace, 2 pinch bolts with keyed shaft ends, but is costly. My local dealer quoted me $245 for it. It's a very common problem and a dealer only. I think it can be had from Tasca for $150 or so... can't remember.

To test the issue, spray the u joints liberaly with wd or pb and work the wheel back and forth. If you drive it and the steering gets better you know it's the u joints.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4GreenFords
Check the U Joints on the intemediate steering shaft. It's a cake to replace, 2 pinch bolts with keyed shaft ends, but is costly. My local dealer quoted me $245 for it. It's a very common problem and a dealer only. I think it can be had from Tasca for $150 or so... can't remember.

To test the issue, spray the u joints liberaly with wd or pb and work the wheel back and forth. If you drive it and the steering gets better you know it's the u joints.

thats exactly what it is.. i have an 06.. exact same problem.. i ended up spraying the joints, then lubing the hell outta them.. been good ever since..

hopefully you dont have to replace it!

good luck
Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 PM

My truck has been doing this for the last week, and today it feels like the power steering has quit altogether.Maybe I'll go out and lube the joints to see if that helps.I figured the pump had gone, but it would be nice if this fixes it.Thanks for the suggestion.
Scott
Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Well, i went out and soak the joints thoroughly.It didn't seem to make any difference at all, so I guess I'll be stopping at my mechanics on my way home from work tomorrow(assuming that soaking overnight does nothing for it).Oh well, it was worth a try, I'll take a free fix, over paying for one any day.
Scott

Last edited by timebomb; 05-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM

This is what the ujoint looks like, rusted as ****
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM

I just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation, I removed the shaft which one u joint was rusted badly put it on a vice and sprayed it down with brake cleaner and grease while moving it back and forth on the vice and re-installed it and now it works fine! Let's see how long it lasts for LOL....if you need to replace the part go to tascaparts.com 161 plus shipping vs 245 from dealer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Power steering