Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 back up sensor's - turn off

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F150 back up sensor's - turn off

so I had some rear sensor's replaced when they removed my rear bumper to re-paint it, they damaged them when doing the work - checked all the connections and seem to be tight, but the dash switch turns off automatically when I move forward in drive (even 2-3 ft) when you first turn on the truck and put it in reverse (with an object close to the back) they beep, go to neutral they stop go to reverse again they beep, but as soon as you move in drive the switch light comes on (as if you turned them off) - any idea's ? the body shop is going to take it back to fix it - they think they maybe a certain process on re-connecting the sensors ie: plug in, turn key on - or something like that .. maybe another sensor is defective ? I had read if you have a trailer plugged into the 6 wire trailer plug it will disable the sensor (turn light off ?) maybe they somehow messed the 6 wire plug up ? checked it visually and see no issues - but do not have a trailer to plug into to test
Old 10-26-2014, 01:22 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

So, basically the system has a failsafe in it. Once you shift the truck into reverse, within 4 seconds if ANY of the 4 sensors are not returning a signal the system disables itself and you CANNOT re-enable it. What's interesting though, is if you fix the problem live, within 4 seconds it'll come back.

The easiest way to troubleshoot this is, since you're getting a beep you know the sensor and Parking Assist Module (PAM) is working. What you should do is, shut the truck off, put the ignition to ON, apply the parking brake (safety), then go to the rear of the truck. Each sensor even with the system automatically disabled will make a "tapping" noise. Listen to each one, most often one's dead. The one that is dead you now have two options, swap it with another and see if the same one is still dead. If the same one is dead, you have a broken wire. If the one that you've swapped is disabled in the new position, you have a dead sensor. Typically, it's a broken wire. In my case, snow packed against the wiring before I had mudflaps and damaged it. Now that I have mudflaps and that I've repaired it, I haven't had an issue since.

When the system is disabled automatically though, it's still "checking" the sensors.

If the PAM feels ANY of the four sensors are not responding though, it WILL disable the entire system for safety. The reason being, 3 sensors are not as accurate as four and it of course becomes a liability now.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
05f150kingranchWpg (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you homer - checked for the clicking sound - and one of the sensors is not working (drivers far outside) - removed it and plugged into passenger's far outside and still not clicking - will get the body shop to order a new one - one of the inside ones does not have as loud of a clicking - not sure if they all should be the same level - or maybe it should also be replaced - no charge to me - the body shop will cover them all
Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue, sort of. Sometimes the light comes on right away. Other times it comes on when I put it in reverse. Then there is the rare instance when it works properly, usually when it rains. What if all four sensors are clicking as mine are?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Yours sound intermittent... do they still "tap" when the system is disabled? If it's disabling right away it tells me the PAM is acting up (although not as likely) or you have a dead short somewhere. Wiring at the rear (above spare tire) harness, or one of your cables/connectors is shorting.
The following users liked this post:
Xoned (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by homer
Yours sound intermittent... do they still "tap" when the system is disabled? If it's disabling right away it tells me the PAM is acting up (although not as likely) or you have a dead short somewhere. Wiring at the rear (above spare tire) harness, or one of your cables/connectors is shorting.
When I first started troubleshooting this issue all four sensors were clicking. Just checked them again today and the far passenger side was not clicking. Moved it to the driver side and...... it didn't click. So, it looks like a sensor problem and not the wiring.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 back up sensor's - turn off