Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 engaging but wheels not turning

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4x4 engaging but wheels not turning

I'm having an issue where I engage into 4hi or 4low and it appears to engage properly, but when I climb a hill or do something where all 4 wheels should be spinning only one wheel is spinning, and it's the rear wheel. So it seems like even though the 4 wheel drive appears to be engaging properly, it's actually not working. Both the 4hi and 4lo lights come on the dash when I engage them. I replaced the solenoid today with the new part that has the cover, but it didn't seem to help any. I also researched the forum on all the 4 wheel drive issues, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this exact problem that might be able to shed some light on the correct fix the first time. Thanks the help guys!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

You will defiantly know when your in 4L... check out the vacuum lines going to your IWE’s and then look at the T-case shift motor. Just because your dash light comes on don’t mean your in 4WD.
The following users liked this post:
rtcoop (10-16-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:32 PM

How would l know if the t-case shift motor is bad or not? I lightly tapped it with a rubber mallet like was suggested on another thread to see if it helped but it didn't. The previous owner had the truck for 8 years and said he never used the 4x4.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

just unbolt the motor from the t case and have someone shift the 4x4 switch and watch the motor. and check for power to confirm that its the motor. check out this link. http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...then-some.html

Last edited by Houbezra; 10-15-2014 at 02:38 PM.
rtcoop (10-16-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Mark

to troubleshoot properly you first need to see if IWE's are working correctly...for this you will need a vacuum pump which can be loaned from some auto parts stores.. don't know how savy you are in the check out of this system... when you select 4H and then go to 4L you are in "N" stopped correct ? once 4L light comes on you should of heard a clunk of the T-case shifting into the low range... your truck now will only go about 35MPH before it redlines...
rtcoop (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

i have had this exact problem and i can almost guarantee that it is either your IEW solenoid or your IWEs. I had to replace both on my truck when this happened. Dont mess with your transfer case for now, IWEs are a week spot in the 4x4 system. The way that they operate is vacuum from the engine unlocks the hubs that lock the wheels to the front axles. The solenoid about $30 is just a valve that is run off the electric signal from when you switch into 4 and it simply releases the vacuum to allow them to lock. Now a simple way that you can test this to see if thats the problem is you unhook the two vacuum hoses from the solenoid and your wheels should be locked in fully. If this is the case and everything is working fine when you unhook the lines then problem solved get yourself a new solenoid. If not I can tell you how to address the IWEs (Integrated Wheel Ends). I will make a video describing how to locate and test the solenoid for you if you want, but it is located on the passenger side of the firewall with one electrical connection and two little black hoses coming. the one on the left of the picture is a stock one and the one on the right is the new revised one with a shield so water doesn't get in it.

from it.
The following 2 users liked this post by bill2014:
beantown617 (10-19-2014), rtcoop (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/
rtcoop (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 03:36 PM

I replaced the solenoid located on the firewall with the new type that has the water guard on it. I checked the vacuum check valve that's located close to the solenoid and it seems to be working fine. When I switch to 4lo I am in neutral. It actually acts like it's in 4 low by the way it drives super slow, problem is the front tires are not doing any work and back ones are still spinning. I feel like it's probably a vacuum leak somewhere or bad IWE's. I've ordered the IWE's already and will put them on this week or next. Hopefully that takes care of it. I thought about purchasing the tool the check for vacuum leaks but havn't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by bill2014
i have had this exact problem and i can almost guarantee that it is either your IEW solenoid or your IWEs. I had to replace both on my truck when this happened. Dont mess with your transfer case for now, IWEs are a week spot in the 4x4 system. The way that they operate is vacuum from the engine unlocks the hubs that lock the wheels to the front axles. The solenoid about $30 is just a valve that is run off the electric signal from when you switch into 4 and it simply releases the vacuum to allow them to lock. Now a simple way that you can test this to see if thats the problem is you unhook the two vacuum hoses from the solenoid and your wheels should be locked in fully. If this is the case and everything is working fine when you unhook the lines then problem solved get yourself a new solenoid. If not I can tell you how to address the IWEs (Integrated Wheel Ends). I will make a video describing how to locate and test the solenoid for you if you want, but it is located on the passenger side of the firewall with one electrical connection and two little black hoses coming. the one on the left of the picture is a stock one and the one on the right is the new revised one with a shield so water doesn't get in it.

from it.
He stated he replace his solenoid, already
Old 10-19-2014, 03:16 PM

Replaced iwe's and problem solved. The passenger side was bad but we went ahead and replaced both.

Quick Reply: 4x4 engaging but wheels not turning