Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F-150 How to test power drivers seat functionality (out of vehicle)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 PM
Work Truck Owner aka Josh

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2005 F-150 How to test power drivers seat functionality (out of vehicle)?

Hi guys and gals. I just bought a power drivers seat to replace the one in my 2005 XL thats worn out. I got it from my local salvage yard for $50. I'm in the process of wanting to test it before I install it for proper functionality using some 12-gauge wire that we have and connecting it to my truck battery. I know I need a ground and hot wire but am not quite sure where the connector with the 12V hot at all times pinout is in order to test it using the hot and ground wires I'm connecting to my battery for this test, if that makes sense.

For reference, here's the underside of the "new" seat:

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2020, 09:12 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 927 Posts

I have 08 xl that did. It DID NOT have power seats. I bought power seats from junk yard (from same gen f150). Plugged new power seat into harness already present on floor under seat and it worked. Plug and play.

EDIT to correct/make clear that stock seats were non-power (ie manual everything)

Last edited by laterongc; 08-18-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:19 PM

Yeah what you're saying makes sense. What I'm attempting to do is wire in power to the driver seat where I currently have a manual adjust seat (the basic vinyl).

An update, I believe I've found what connector I'm needing for the 12V power source to test the motor outside of the truck, but I'm still stumped as to where to connect my hot and ground wires on the plug as there are just pins in the connector. The connector is located on the drivers seat module. But I think the harness that connects to that plug is still in the truck unfortunately..

The white arrow indicates the connector I found that I'm trying to figure out how to connect the hot and ground wires to, if that makes sense:

Old 08-18-2020, 10:27 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by International96
Yeah what you're saying makes sense. What I'm attempting to do is wire in power to the driver seat where I currently have a manual adjust seat (the basic vinyl).

An update, I believe I've found what connector I'm needing for the 12V power source to test the motor outside of the truck, but I'm still stumped as to where to connect my hot and ground wires on the plug as there are just pins in the connector. The connector is located on the drivers seat module. But I think the harness that connects to that plug is still in the truck unfortunately..

The white arrow indicates the connector I found that I'm trying to figure out how to connect the hot and ground wires to, if that makes sense:

my stock/orig seats were non power (ie manual everything). BUT there already was a wire harness under vinyl floor area ready to go. I just un bolted old set, set in new one and plugged it in. Plug and play.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:26 AM

Oh ok, now I see what you're saying. That's interesting yours is that way. From what I can see on mine, I only have one harness coming through the floor for the air bag connection.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:15 PM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Uhmmmm, you sure about the plug in location? This one (circled in red) doesnt seem to have anything plugged in it.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Originally Posted by laterongc
my stock/orig seats were non power (ie manual everything). BUT there already was a wire harness under vinyl floor area ready to go. I just un bolted old set, set in new one and plugged it in. Plug and play.
My 08 XL also has the wiring harness under both seats. Maybe the 2005’s didn’t. A bunch of things changed in this gen for the 06/07 year update.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JoeinGa
Uhmmmm, you sure about the plug in location? This one (circled in red) doesnt seem to have anything plugged in it.

Actually, after some more research overnight and this morning, I found the correct plug I'm looking for in order to test it. It's the wide plug to the left of the one you circled (the one with the blue connector). According to this thread, there are four pins for power and ground for the seat switches and motors. The one you had circled in red is actually for the airbag. The only plug I have under my seat is for the airbag, unfortunately.

I went back to the donor truck today to see what's there and sure enough the power seat harness and airbag connector are there (bundled into a mini wiring harness. I attempted to pull out as much as I could but was only able to manage about 2-3 feet before the wires split into two different directions. It turns out that pulling the harness from the connectors to the fuse panel is a BIG job! I unfortunately didn't have enough time to grab anything, so I left empty-handed except for grabbing the seat bolts.

I do have some good news, though, I'm able to get the harness for free, which is great. But it's a tough job just even getting it out from what I can tell.

Last edited by International96; 08-20-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
My 08 XL also has the wiring harness under both seats. Maybe the 2005’s didn’t. A bunch of things changed in this gen for the 06/07 year update.
That's interesting. I'm really bummed that mine isn't pre-wired. I haven't checked the passenger side, but I did on the drivers, and the only connector that goes through the floor is the air bag sensor.

I know you might not be able to answer these, but would it be worth the effort in wiring it in myself assuming I'm able to get the harness for it? Would it be possible to wire it in even without it? I've never done anything like this, so this is brand new to me as of the past few days. But if its not too hard to wire up, I'm willing to take this on in order to be able to use the power seat functions. I don't plan on using the heated or memory features, only the power adjust.

Also, I called the salvage yard about potentially being able to return it, but unfortunately they won't accept returns (I got the seat for $50 and they're letting me get the harness for free as mentioned above). So that's why I'm wanting to try and make it work if at all possible.

Has anyone else done an under-floor wiring job adding the wiring like I'm possibly needing to do here? Any advice/tips/tricks/hints would be greatly appreciated (I have the vinyl flooring).

Last edited by International96; 08-20-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:18 AM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Sounds like that power plug that has 4 pins for powering the seat motors is all you need. I should think you could find a screw or bolt that's in metal somewhere neat the seat rather than have to run a ground all the way up to the dash. So you MIGHT get by with only having to run ONE WIRE to find a 12volt power source for your power. And I dont think it would matter if it is switched or unswitched

Quick Reply: 2005 F-150 How to test power drivers seat functionality (out of vehicle)?