Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 RWD XLT Crew Level Kit, Control Arms and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RWD XLT Crew Level Kit, Control Arms and Struts

There are a number of posts out there on the topic of leveling (2.5" Kit), Stuts and Control Arms but I just did it all at once and there are a few things that need to be shared. I ordered all the parts from RockAuto.

AGAIN: THIS IS A RWD TRUCK NOT A 4x4

1. Toe and Camber will most likely be way out of spec after doing this. Toe was so bad that I had to do a rough alignment (by visually sighting it) just to drive it in the neighborhood.

2. Before you take it to an alignment shop make sure you free up the tie rod jam nuts. Mine were frozen so I had to work on them with two pipe wrenches and PB Blaster for about 30 minutes but afterwards I could turn them with my fingers. The shop wanted to charge me, wait for it, $750 to replace inner and outer tie rods on both sides because the jam nuts were frozen! They tried for 5 minutes with a pair of vice grips and a wrench to loosen them. By the way, the mechanic was about 30 years old, had a lift and a shop full of tools; I'm 64 and did it in my driveway under a pair of Rhino Ramps.

3. You will need to install a Camber Adjustment Kit (I'm using the Moog one) to set the Camber. For my truck, the Lower Control Arm Bolts kept wanting to move out as far as they can (the frame slot has about 2" of adjustment) and there was no way for me to lever them back in with weight on the wheels; just no room to work under the truck. Making it harder, to tighten the bolts, weight has to be on the wheels to properly seat the lower control arm bushings. I pulled the front tires onto a large plastic drop cloth folded multiple times. This allows the tires to slide around much easier with the weight on them.

4. I used the Southern Truck 2.5" Lift Kit. It's basically a resin spacer that is installed to the top of the Spring/Shock. Levels my truck out nice but the front is now slightly higher than the rear. My new struts will settle though and I believe it will be perfect.

5. So many people installing leveling kits claimed that no alignment was necessary. I suspect they are absolutely wrong so take this into account if you plan on doing this. If you are only installing the kit or even new struts and the kit I suspect your camber will be fine but your toe will be a mess. My Camber is off because I changed the lower control arm and without the Camber Kit you can't set the bolts to the correct position before you tighten them.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes you definitely need an alignment once you install one. But that camber adjustment kit is not needed. I put a 2.5 in level on my truck in February and got an alignment done and my tires have even tread wear.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Um... Mine were jammed too, so I heated them with a torch and freed them up. Sounds like I would avoid that shop.

I was always under the impression that it was a good idea to get an alignment after any suspension repairs, and even after getting a different sized tire.

Quick Reply: 2004 RWD XLT Crew Level Kit, Control Arms and Struts