Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

07 FX2 Chattering Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 07 FX2 Chattering Brakes

I owen an 07 FX2. like most folks on here have reported about the crap that FORD put on these trucks for brakes and having to replace rotors at around 25k miles, I have done so twice and I'm at 44K now.
After replacing the front rotors and pads, greased every moving part in the brake system, I still have brake chatter to the point where it's like oooh poop! you gotta let off the brake some because the vibration/chatter is so bad. the steering wheel shakes horribly and the windshield wippers are bouncing like crazy.
Some have said that it may be the E-brake??? some say it may be the ABS system trying to kick on? (nothing is felt in the brake pedal) I don't have an ABS light coming on. the truck rides smooth until you start to apply the brakes from highway speeds. I've inspected the ABS sensors, but I don't see anything wrong with them. other then cleaning them off with a rag what more can I do in this case?? Thanks guys and Gals.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you checked your rear rotors?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Question

Thanks for the quick reply. I've looked the rear rotors over and don't see anything out of the ordinary? I pulled the calipers off and lubed the hardware. Those rotors were replaced about 20k miles ago. While looking everyhting else over up front, I did however find some play in the drivers side outer tie rod. Up and down movement and I can twist it without much force. The psgr side I can't even move at all! Would this be possibly causing the chatter? It's only 50 bucks and 30 min of work.
Thanks again!

Last edited by FRODZ07; 07-21-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Figured it out folks......after checking all the steering componants, I found that the driver's side outer tie rod was shot! boot wasn't torn but there was no grease.

Quick Reply: 07 FX2 Chattering Brakes