Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default whats a fair price?

So I was looking at a 2013 F150 Lariat for sale at a local dealership. The MSRP was 46,500. I was curious what you guys think is a fair purchase price for this vehicle? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

That's going to depend mostly on what rebates are effect in your area and at this time............ask to see the truck's invoice though and then subtract the rebates from there....then add whatever profit you may be willing to offer.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visit www.machaikford.com and you can get an idea of what you should pay for a 2013 F150.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice

I do not envy you - buying a new car is so much work to do it well.

Here is what I did not too long ago. I researched several forums and websites to find out what people were paying on average vs. invoice. Truecar.com is a fair site to give you some ideas. I knew what I was willing to pay and how to negotiate to get a good price, but here is where you can improve your take home goods.

Have your salesman/woman apply all of the rebates. They always apply them to MSRP, you can't get around that. Currently it is difficult for local banks to compete with the manufacturers financing rates, but if you can get pre-approved lower, that will help - usually, the manufacturer will match the rate.

Get the dealer to quote you a price and then say I need you to do better than that, they will. Tell your sales person that you are going to shop around and then contact other dealers who will likely quote you a lower price.

Call your first dealer back and tell them that you would like to keep the sale local but you were offered a better price, tell them who you got it from and what the price was. They will likely match it.

Say great - I will buy the truck if you include at no charge all weather floor mats and mud guards (or something similar - these accessories can be included at no charge and are nice bits to have - I got all weather mats, mud guards, cargo organizer, and first oil change and tire rotation free).

Dealers don't make much on new non-lux vehicles, they get a holdback from the manufacturer and a few hundred on the sale, if lucky. The money is made on the financing.

To feel like you get a good deal, negotiate on accessories and service. It worked for me and I left very happy.

To give you an idea of what kind of deal I got: MSRP $30,280. After rebates and negotiations $26,590 out the door. Then my accessories (free) but the cost would have been $240. First oil change and tire rotation (free) would have cost $40+.

This is a good time of year to buy. You can get good deals, especially closer to the holiday and the end of the year.

-Brutus
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by sterlingone
That's going to depend mostly on what rebates are effect in your area and at this time............ask to see the truck's invoice though and then subtract the rebates from there....then add whatever profit you may be willing to offer.
While Brutus does have a detailed version, sterlingone's is probably where you will realistically end up. That's exactly what I did, and where I ended on my Platinum order last week. It's still relatively early in 2013 model year so deep discounts are few, and far between.

You can use websites like www.edmunds.com or www.kbb.com to get the invoice of the truck. Keep in mind these sites do not include dealer ad fees or the fuel charge that we all pay now. Those were $791.56 on my order. Funny, that free tank of gas just ain't free anymore.

Last edited by Wanted33; 11-25-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2012 sticker was 42500.

After rebates and several almost out the door walks, with extended warranty and tire & wheel warranty it was 32355.

Just really depends on rebates and the will to walk a deal if don't get what you want.

By the way I bought in late July had no desire to wait on the 2013 so just shop around if able and remember the rebates and the soon end of year sales before the end of December.

Good Luck.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfdog
My 2012 sticker was 42500.

After rebates and several almost out the door walks, with extended warranty and tire & wheel warranty it was 32355.

Just really depends on rebates and the will to walk a deal if don't get what you want.

By the way I bought in late July had no desire to wait on the 2013 so just shop around if able and remember the rebates and the soon end of year sales before the end of December.

Good Luck.
Agree, the sticker on mine was also 42,000. I got it out the door for 33,800. I also got the 6 year 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty and some diamond brite paint coating for free they said anyway. Also got a bedliner out of them. But yeah I did walk out on the sales guy I was dealing with. I told them ford has more money than I do,so they could go lower on the price.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.truecar.com/

Last edited by DH3069; 11-28-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Link
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 13 fx4 eco yesterday. I was able to get $500 below the invoice price plus all applicable rebates, which in my case was $4250. I ended up about 9000 below msrp.

Good or bad, i was happy with the deal

Quick Reply: whats a fair price?