Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB2 Work / Fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Default USB2 Work / Fail

Did the nifty USB 2 connection from the back of the SYNC and routed it into the glovebox, as many have done. Used a 3' Mini USB-to-USB A cable with a male end. Then used a simple female-to-female adapter at the end of that cable so I could plug in my iPod directly and leave it in the glovebox.

The mod worked great, first try. Used it yesterday and today, with the SYNC unit easily finding it during "Select Source=>Select USB" routine.

Then, later today, nothing. Here is a pic of the connection, and what SYNC displayed:

Looks like SYNC just quit finding this, right. That's what I thought too. Then, when I disconnected, SYNC shows:

So, WTH? It worked perfect. Then it didn't. Doesn't seem to recognize it anymore, yet knows when its disconnected. Any thoughts? Has my MicroSoft-based SYNC just decided to quit playing nice with the iPod? BTW, I took it all apart, rescured all connections, just to make sure. Same results.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a good quality cable which does not require an adaptor?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Easier said than done. Finding a Mini (male)-to-USB A(female) was futile through many searches. Cables come in TONS of configurations, just couldn't find that specific one. The female-to-female is a simple fix that others have used. Can't speak to the quality of the cable.

- Bob
Old 12-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

The cable doesn't make any difference. It either works or doesn't. It's not a partial or half working kinda thing. I use the exact same setup on my USB2 and it works fine.

Have you plugged it into the main USB to make sure the card is still functioning correctly? Just to rule that out of course. And what happens when you say "USB2" via Sync? Does it give you an error? Fail to recognize? Anything?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:18 PM

The iPod plugged into the main dash USB still works just fine. Checked that. What's interesting is that it won't recognize, or finish initializing, my daughters (?) in the main USB. Given her choice of music, maybe that's a blessing <g>

Also, the SYNC display never called it "USB2" when it was working. Only saw USB2 when I disconnected after it quit working, as shown in the picture. Have not tried a voice command. Will give it a try.

- Bob
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My USB2 won't show up in the select source menu, but works perfect if I use the voice command and say "USB 2". Resumes when I restart the truck too.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
And what happens when you say "USB2" via Sync? Does it give you an error? Fail to recognize? Anything?
dingdingdingding!

That did the trick. Voice command played the iPod through USB 2 straight away. Still don't know why it worked with the dash control ***** "Select Source" initially, then quit. But, it appears I am all set using the voice prompt. Thanks.

- Bob

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by pickupman2007
My USB2 won't show up in the select source menu, but works perfect if I use the voice command and say "USB 2". Resumes when I restart the truck too.
Appears mine works the same way. Hopefully that did the trick.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Have your dealer perform TSB 11-10-22. It reprograms the ACM and seems to alleviate a lot of SYNC problems.

Last edited by Theocoog; 12-17-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Theocoog
Have your dealer perform TSB 11-10-22. It reprograms the ACM and seems to alleviate a lot of SYNC problems.
I read about that. My truck was built September 13, 2011, well after the July-or-earlier dates mentioned in the TSB. So, while I may be in for the upcoming Brake Interlock Switch notice, I thought it may not need the SYNC TSB. I will check, though.

- Bob

Quick Reply: USB2 Work / Fail