Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update to overheat while towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update to overheat while towing

For those of you who followed the overheating ecoboost while towing 6,600 pounds. I finally got a way forward with Ford engineering. They believe there may be debris in the cooling system from a transmission that needed repaired earlier this year. They have asked my dealership to provide multiple temperature measurements for analysis. Hopefully this issue is founded and it resolves the month long process. I'll keep y'all in the loop. Needless to say, after 13 service visits for numerous problems I'm excited.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAMO_:
jdunk54nl (06-27-2017), Red89gt (06-26-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:38 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Have they tested the coolant for combustion gasses? It sounds like they're doing everything possible to avoid saying the "E" (engine) word.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 AM

Agreed. Ford denied the buyback despite numerous repeat failures and the overheat.

The bigger repairs were two transmission rebuilds and an air conditioning compressor change. I dropped it off today for a busted transmission rear main seal and a broken transmission mount. They will be repairing the transmission again, and then taking the temperature readings that engineeering is asking for. in all honesty regional customer care rep has been very poor in their handling of this process. The concern was addressed 1jun, and I'm just now getting to a direction. She missed a follow up timeline she set, as well as, phone calls she said she would make. Additionally, she would didn't respond to my dealerships numerous request. My goal with posting on this forum is to help others work through similar overheat problems. I'm to stubborn to quit until this is resolved or they buy it back.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

You can buy a hydrocarbon test kit at most auto parts stores. You take a coolant sample and add a chemical to it. If it turns a certain color, you have combustion gas in your coolant. I'd be inclined to do this myself at this point.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Have a customer that had the same issues with a 2013 Eco towing 8000 lbs. Ford could not fix the problem. He traded it in.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 AM

Perry, great suggestion, once I get my truck back I will run the test and report the results. Old smokey, that's my fear... (ford knowning it's not capable) . however I refuse to trade it in and lose money. I'm stubborn enough I will ensure this is resolved or bought back.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Should have posted this in your old thread. That way if someone come across it, they will have all the info.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (06-28-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 12:54 AM

It's been awhile since I've updated on the resolution. the rear main seal was replaced, and the axle seal replaced. The transmission mount was actually still good. The temperature test for cooling all came back normal and it was determined that since it was overheating under load, that they believed the transmission was slipping under load, creating the overhead. I pointed out the delay from full gas pedal to acceleration and the tech immediately became concerned. After test driving and numerous othe techs verifying the delay (4-6 seconds depending in the day), ford now believes it's a turbo issue. Still no concrete fix as of yet. I really wish they would have just bought this back so I'm no longer playing the time game. I'm now at 35 days and still no resolution on this problem.