Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Wheels - not very popular?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Ultra Wheels - not very popular?

I was doing a lot of wheel shopping today and stumbled upon these at the Tire Rack. I did a google search for Ultra wheels on F150's and there is hardly anything out there, especially when compared to Method or XD on our trucks. I looked at the specs and they are very comparable to Method and XD wheels, and about $10-$15 cheaper in 17" sizes. I like the one below, called the Trooper. Let me know your thoughts, or if I need to steer clear. Also, not sure how I feel about all black wheels versus wheels with some machined accents or a machined center. I plan to keep my bumpers chrome, the running boards are chrome and my door handles, so I kinda feel like the machined wheels help tie it together versus all black. I included a pic of the truck below too for reference, I'm really on the fence.

Here are my other top choices, the more I think about it the more I think I need something with a machined detail vs all black. These would be in 17" with 285/70/17's. Lowest offset is 0, would I run into rubbing issues?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 AM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree, I think a wheel with a machined accent would fit your truck better than an all black wheel because of the chrome accents on your truck. I actually just pulled the trigger on a set of 17" Method Race Wheels Standard in the diamond cut finish. There is nothing wrong with Ultra wheels, just not as popular on our trucks I think because people either forget they exist or just not interested in there wheels options. The one you have pictured doesn't look bad, it's not to flashy without being too boring. Wheel shopping is one of the most difficult things I think because it's what can make or break the look of one's truck.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:06 AM

Yes, and I'm indecisive to begin with, the fact that I can't really see how it looks on my truck before hand is hard. Always hard to judge off someone else's photo or the terrace website. What is the offset on the Standard's you bought? I think the 17" is 0 and I'm wondering if that would cause problems, I don't have a level and don't want to level right now either.

4.6, when will you have your Method Standard wheels installed, eager top see what they look like. What size and brand tires did you go with?

Last edited by biscuit141; 10-30-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:16 AM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Guessing it's a bargain bin house brand rim made to look like the more 'offroad' brands at a much more reasonable price (bet they're made in the same factories in china to the same specs, with the look being the difference) if you like em, get em! no reason to spend 10x more on a brand that florida Georgia line hasn't made a song about yet.

[[factory rims are Chinese, too]]
Old 10-30-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

I have fuel mavericks which are identical. They are chinese made and have very cheap plastic center caps. Even the fake imitation bolts are plastic. Only difference between my fuel rims and those ultras are probably the price. Quality should be the same. I did get my wheels quite cheap though. $240 each CAD for 18x9. Somewhere around $190 USD.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a set of ultra wheels on a Ram I had a bunch of years ago. The were chrome. I live in the Northeast and they held up well considering our winters. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks guys. I've heard of Ultra wheels before, just surprised how uncommon they are on our trucks. Bob, were you saying your Fuels are also Chinese made with cheap plastic center caps? I know the Ultras are, but Method and XD also said made in China. The only relatively cheap wheels I know of that are not are ProComp.

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I ran ultras on my superdutys for years, great wheel, never any issues.

But seeing how your looking at methods, I would look at eagle 012 wheels. They are cheeper then the methods and american made.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah they are 0 offset and 4.72 backspacing. They are going to stick out a little more than stock, but not an excessive amount. I plan on running 285/70r17's. As far as rubbing issues I am not to positive. I know that size tire will work on stock height/stock wheels, but not sure with these wheels. My wheels are on backorder and I am hoping I get them next week, but not sure yet.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:15 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

You might not hear of Ultra Wheels so much on our trucks, but you might hear about their Walker Evans brand more in regards to our trucks. There are quite a few Raptor guys running the Walker Evan's street and race wheels without issues.

They even make one that is very similar in looks to the Method NV.

Walker Evans Street - 504 Legacy

Last edited by Chris's FX4; 10-30-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultra Wheels - not very popular?